X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coordinating linen jacket

I'm trying to figure out a combination of patterns/colors that will allow me to use this my linen jacket. In my previous thread folks were saying that the check of the jacket would work better with a less busy tie/shirt.

IMG_8449.jpg

Blues and browns are a classic combination. I thought the pale blue looks nice with the beige. New (to me) vintage brown sporran. I can't do anything about the tartan size and checks of the jacket being of similar size.

I think that the look generally works. The hose are darker brown than I like but they were the only pair clean that day.

While a more traditional tweed jacket might look better (it is something I want to get at some point regardless). I got the linen jacket to wear in the spring/summer here when shirtsleeves isn't the only reasonable choice.

Feedback is appreciated.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Feedback is appreciated.
    Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but the jacket looks a little long. Other than that, I think the color combo ties together rather well.

I have one question, due to my inability to see fine detail in the photo. Do the hose coordinate with the finer lines in the jacket (or the kilt)? If not (and maybe even if they do), I'd consider coordinating the hose with the major color of the jacket or the color of the shirt. I'd also either go all brown or all black with the leathers.

Actually ... this is me ... I'd go all black with the leathers. But I believe it's at least equally valid to go all brown with the leathers, even though I own no brown leathers.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but the jacket looks a little long. Other than that, I think the color combo ties together rather well.

I have one question, due to my inability to see fine detail in the photo. Do the hose coordinate with the finer lines in the jacket (or the kilt)? If not (and maybe even if they do), I'd consider coordinating the hose with the major color of the jacket or the color of the shirt. I'd also either go all brown or all black with the leathers.

Actually ... this is me ... I'd go all black with the leathers. But I believe it's at least equally valid to go all brown with the leathers, even though I own no brown leathers.
    The hose are chocolate brown. So I guess they are similar to the brown check of the jacket. As I mentioned they were my only clean pair that day. I’d probably go green otherwise as I just like that color.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look...
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I'm trying to figure out a combination of patterns/colors that will allow me to use this my linen jacket. In my previous thread folks were saying that the check of the jacket would work better with a less busy tie/shirt.

IMG_8449.jpg

Blues and browns are a classic combination. I thought the pale blue looks nice with the beige. New (to me) vintage brown sporran. I can't do anything about the tartan size and checks of the jacket being of similar size.

I think that the look generally works. The hose are darker brown than I like but they were the only pair clean that day.

While a more traditional tweed jacket might look better (it is something I want to get at some point regardless). I got the linen jacket to wear in the spring/summer here when shirtsleeves isn't the only reasonable choice.

Feedback is appreciated.
    What tartan is that? Very interesting design. The jacket could be a bit long, but not too bad.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    What tartan is that? Very interesting design. The jacket could be a bit long, but not too bad.

Frank
    The tartan is Macdonald modern in marton mills polyviscose, which is why the sett is so small.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats better! Although somehow, the pattern in that jacket still does not enthuse my eye greatly. Also, I still think that you are fussing too much over hose colours, and whilst the brown sporran is ok, it does seem to be drowned out by the rest of the brown kit and the tartan too. Perhaps a black sporran might be worn to advantage here?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 30th April 19 at 03:23 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that looks like a pretty good combination; I also agree that a black sporran might be a better choice here but definitely not something I would worry about greatly.

Shane

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each of us have our own views. The blue shirt and the brown sporran works with the total outfit (including the dark hose). I understand why others think the jacket is too long. It draws attention from the kilt. A black sporran would be more exact but do we all have to comply when what we have for gear is fine?

Does everything feel comfortable? Do you like the combination? Does it fit the moment (when a jacket is needed)? You can always change if you find this combo doesn't work for you in the future.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the tone and pattern combination of the jacket too light for my taste. I just cannot imagine wearing it with anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast