X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific work Peter. Another very interesting bit of tartan history.
    Gu dùbhlanach
    Coinneach Mac Dhòmhnaill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating, many thanks for that :-)

Even 19thC historians of the Company naturally assumed that the red tartan was 'Stuart' despite the portraits on display - your artefact research is really illuminating the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent article. You are to be commended for your research and writing in sharing this with us. Good luck on convincing the Archers!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next year of course is the tri-centenary of the Archers. Try as I may I cannot get anyone to reply to enquiries about any plans to commemorate the event. Frustrating or what! I’ve written, email, contacted friends that are members – nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Next year of course is the tri-centenary of the Archers. Try as I may I cannot get anyone to reply to enquiries about any plans to commemorate the event. Frustrating or what! I’ve written, email, contacted friends that are members – nothing.
    Sorry to hear that, Peter! Thank for the very interesting read, though - well done!

Cheers,

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fascinating investigation on your part, Peter. One hopes the Company will take note and, perhaps, act on your findings.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there's so much more! I've recently discovered a whole outfit, one of the originals, complete with tartan breeches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, the elusive breeches! You know the funny story quoted in Balfour Paul, I suppose?

When the red tartan coat was "presented to the Company in 1856, through T. G. Dickson, Esq., by Martine Lindsay, Esq., grandson of the late Martine Lindsay, Esq. of Dowhill, near Dundee, who had many years before received it from Laurence Oliphant, Esq. of Gask, along with the following letter : —

" Gask, 6M November 1777

...It is pretty odd if my coat be the only one left, especially as it was taken away in the '46 by the Duke of Cumberland's plunderers ; and Miss Anne Graeme, Inchbrackie, thinking it would be regretted by me, went boldly out among the soldiers and recovered it from one of them, insisting with him that it was a lady's riding-habit ; but putting her hand to the breeches to take them too, he with a thundering oath asked if the lady wore breeches?..."

I hope that the positive outcomes of the jubilee encourage them to do something special. I've just seen the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge get an ovation at Wimbledon as they arrived - the monarchy seems quite rejuvenated after some bleak years. Perhaps people will recover a bit after the Olympics and the royal organisers have all caught their breath!

Do let us know if you know of anyone we can encourage, they may not have considered the Charter and I'm sure the resurgence of traditional archery means a celebration might be supported, attended or even participated in by some of the clubs, for whom the Company's role has a direct importance not dependent on an appreciation for court ceremonial.

I should mention I have rambled on about the bows they use in the context of Scottish archery and a bit of their history with respect to various monarchs on another thread, if that is of any interest:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...69/index3.html
    Post #25

My Regards

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvianus View Post
    Ooh, the elusive breeches! You know the funny story quoted in Balfour Paul, I suppose?

When the red tartan coat was "presented to the Company in 1856, through T. G. Dickson, Esq., by Martine Lindsay, Esq., grandson of the late Martine Lindsay, Esq. of Dowhill, near Dundee, who had many years before received it from Laurence Oliphant, Esq. of Gask, along with the following letter : —

" Gask, 6M November 1777

...It is pretty odd if my coat be the only one left, especially as it was taken away in the '46 by the Duke of Cumberland's plunderers ; and Miss Anne Graeme, Inchbrackie, thinking it would be regretted by me, went boldly out among the soldiers and recovered it from one of them, insisting with him that it was a lady's riding-habit ; but putting her hand to the breeches to take them too, he with a thundering oath asked if the lady wore breeches?..."
    What an excellent quote. Gask and Inchbrackie are very close by and I can picture the whole thing. The breeches realy are a sight to behold. Hope to be able to update my article shortly to include a picture of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I suspect a private dinner with the Sovereign at Holyrood Palace may be the appropriate commemoration; certainly there will be a review of the Body Guard at which they will present Her Majesty with the traditional "pair of arrows" (which actually number three, not two).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast