X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    ... This week my lovely Star and I were going on a longer hike (12 miles) at Big Basin State Park. Cheers

Jamie

Nice to see you and the Flame Haired Goddess are doing well. Thanks for the comfortable and practical hiking kit suggestions!
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Standard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of times a year, I run group trips to the Highlands and Islands.

This includes hiking in Skye and around the Fort William/Glencoe area - as well as a fair bit of driving the minibus.

What are the Rabble's thoughts on the best choice of kilt for such activities - would you go with a 5 yarder, PV, lightweight or something else?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    A couple of times a year, I run group trips to the Highlands and Islands.

This includes hiking in Skye and around the Fort William/Glencoe area - as well as a fair bit of driving the minibus.

What are the Rabble's thoughts on the best choice of kilt for such activities - would you go with a 5 yarder, PV, lightweight or something else?
    I do a lot of hiking and hill-walking both here in North America and there in Scotland and Ireland. I hiked the Cobbler in a cotton Utilikilt survival model and that was a terrible decision. I wish I had worn a 4 yard box pleat wool kilt or a PV kilt. My favourites for active walking are balanced garments, a 4 yard box pleat or a low yardage knife pleat.

I spend most of my summer in Ireland and depending on the summer the weather can be predictably unpredictable. But usually means rain showers or mist at the very least. Which is why I usually prefer wool.

Here, in rural western Massachusetts, I prefer “semi-traditional” PV kilts. When the temperature reaches the low 30s C, and high humidity, wool is simply not comfortable for me.

Enjoy!
    Jonathan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123