X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1790's Gordon Highlander's Box Pleat Kilt.

Looking for any and all information about this surviving kilt.

There is mention, and a photo of it here:

http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/2013/0...ox-pleats.html

Looking for who's collection it is in, item number, better detailed photos, the entire Intel dump on this object. Can anyone help?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke, I would first PM Matthew Newsome (the blogger of the site and XMark member) about the tartan you seek information on. There's the chance he will see your question and respond soon.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Looking for any and all information about this surviving kilt.

There is mention, and a photo of it here:

http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/2013/0...ox-pleats.html

Looking for who's collection it is in, item number, better detailed photos, the entire Intel dump on this object. Can anyone help?
    The kilt was on display in Edinburgh in the collection of the United Services Museum when Bob Martin photographed it, I was with him. The museum is now the National War Museum.

Interestingly it is not listed in their online catelogue but I assume that they still have it. I know the curator so will ask the question.

The material is Wilsons, full width (selvedge to selvedge), the yellow stripe is silk and the blue is actually their purple.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The kilt was on display in Edinburgh in the collection of the United Services Museum when Bob Martin photographed it, I was with him. The museum is now the National War Museum.

Interestingly it is not listed in their online catelogue but I assume that they still have it. I know the curator so will ask the question.

The material is Wilsons, full width (selvedge to selvedge), the yellow stripe is silk and the blue is actually their purple.
    Good Deal, Thank You,

There is that photo repository website, dont have it at hand right at the moment, but it has all the detailed views that do not show up on the NWM website, its searchable by collection number.
    I am most interested in how the pleats are sewn, running vs backstitch ect

Edited to add:

Here is the photo collection database: http://www.csgimages.org.uk/indexplus/page/Home.html
    Last edited by Luke MacGillie; 29th October 16 at 04:35 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Deal, Thank You,

There is that photo repository website, dont have it at hand right at the moment, but it has all the detailed views that do not show up on the NWM website, its searchable by collection number.
    I am most interested in how the pleats are sewn, running vs backstitch ect

Edited to add:

Here is the photo collection database: http://www.csgimages.org.uk/indexplus/page/Home.html
    Luke, I'm a bit confused by this link. It seems only to relate to items in Glasgow collections, not Scottish ones and searching either 'tartan' or 'kilt' does bring up much, certainly not 92nd, nor in fact a lot of costume/tartan I know is in Gasgow collections.

We'll need access to the actual kilt, or a hi-res photo to answer the question about the stitching. What do you mean by 'Etc'?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it seems to be a bad link, in the past I had been able to pull up a large number of objects from the NAM and other government museums by searching with the accession number. It usually had shots from various angles not just the normal frontal view that is part of many collections databases.

My Ect, means Etc, with transposed letters

I would love to read a conservation report full of museum jargon on this object, with information like how many stitches per inch were used to sew in the pleats, the color of the thread, any lining, was the top folded over or bound, all that type of information that could be used to make a documentary copy.

When looking at this kilt vs other civilian box pleated kilts from the late 18th to early 19th the size and number of the pleats seems to be much more than was the norm for civilian fashion from the one photo I can reference.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to read a conservation report full of museum jargon on this object, with information like how many stitches per inch were used to sew in the pleats, the color of the thread, any lining, was the top folded over or bound, all that type of information that could be used to make a documentary copy.

When looking at this kilt vs other civilian box pleated kilts from the late 18th to early 19th the size and number of the pleats seems to be much more than was the norm for civilian fashion from the one photo I can reference.
    Have you read Bob Martin's comments on this kilt? I can't recall the colour of the thread used but the kilt uses the full width of the material with no fold or waistband and is unlined and uncut at the pleats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not read Bob Martin's Comments, only information I have is from Matt's blog post.