X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More confused than when I started here. Help dress me for my own wedding?

Hi all,

As the title implied, I feel like I have a less clear understanding of what I'm doing than when I started. I'm now a year away from my own wedding, and starting to build out an outfit for the day. My parents and grandparents were all married in Morning dress. I thought that I would continue this tradition, with a Highland flair. This is what I *think* I want to wear.

Silver buttoned, black barathea Argyll
    5 button vest
    Fly plaid & brooch (since it seems to be the consensus here that one's own wedding is practically the only time a fly plaid is apropos)
    White French-cuffed, turn-down collar shirt
    Grandfather's cufflinks (and pocket watch? Watch is gold)
    Long tie in a coordinating color, possibly ancient/lovat green
    Kilt (probably my Stewart of Appin Hunting Ancient)
    Fox fur silver-cantle sporran
    Hand-knit hose in a coordinating color, probably lovat blue
    Garter ties in ancient red
    Black cap-toe shoes.
    I'm foregoing a sgain dubh because it's a church wedding, and I feel odd carrying a weapon into God's house.

Any critique is appreciated before I start amassing this collection. Before anyone asks about full mask sporrans, I have already been shot down on that score. The fiancée just can't stand the idea of having a dead thing's face in our wedding photos. Thanks in advance.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to BadenochWolf For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Wolf,
    First. Congrats on your wedding and best wishes to your lady. Also, don't feel bad about being confused. I find that when learning about something new you have to "unlearn" what you already know about it. I'm still learning about this stuff.
    Your outfit sounds great. Might help if you took a pic of you wearing it and posted it for all to see. Otherwise, check out the sticky note in the General Kilt Talk forum "1 kilt 10 looks" or something like that. It's not hard to find. Panache and McMurdo produced a few great ideas for formal wear. Other great examples I think are by Calgacus in his thread entitled One kilt, several looks. A canny Scot's take. That might help you get an idea. It's your day, brah. Enjoy it.
    Cheers,
    KC

PS-How does your lady like the idea of you being kilted? Hopefully you are blessed with a lady who really likes that kind of thing.
    "Never rise to speak till you have something to say; and when you have said it, cease."-John Knox Witherspoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadenochWolf View Post
    Before anyone asks about full mask sporrans, I have already been shot down on that score. The fiancée just can't stand the idea of having a dead thing's face in our wedding photos.
    Why was she told in advance? A full mask sporran is something you spring on a lass.
    Last edited by bwat; 22nd September 14 at 10:09 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to bwat For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. Morning dress is a very nice style.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your choices although I would forego the fly plaid personally.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snip>
    I'm foregoing a sgain dubh because it's a church wedding, and I feel odd carrying a weapon into God's house.<snip>
    Felt same on my wedding but the priest purloined it from the guest who was "holding it" and proceeded to threaten the choirboys with it in the vestry!
    <snip>
    Before anyone asks about full mask sporrans, I have already been shot down on that score. The fiancée just can't stand the idea of having a dead thing's face in our wedding photos. Thanks in advance.
    She should see some of the folks at our wedding <G>

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OCD: obsessive collie dog For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwat View Post
    Why was she told in advance? A full mask sporran is something you spring on a lass.
    I've learned that surprising my lass with *anything* is a quick way to spend a few nights getting to know the sofa better.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to BadenochWolf For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CONGRATS!!!! This is one of the two most important events you will ever attend in your life (your wedding & your funeral) But do not "spring" anything, like a full mask sporran on your wife to be. Or you might unintentionally attend both events within minuets of her arrival
    I am not sure I would wear a fly plaid, simply due to the fact that the wedding is not an evening wedding. I tend to only wear a fly plaid at a formal black or white tie affair. Of course this is up to you and your soon to be wife, if she's into the fly plaid; by all means...... it's her day make her happy.
    It is the best feeling in the world. Good luck, post pics when you can and allow us to pick you apart prior to the wedding. We merely do it out of respect to our heritage and the kilt.
    LOCH SLOY!
    Cheers, Wil

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    CONGRATS!!!! This is one of the two most important events you will ever attend in your life (your wedding & your funeral) But do not "spring" anything, like a full mask sporran on your wife to be. Or you might unintentionally attend both events within minuets of her arrival
    I am not sure I would wear a fly plaid, simply due to the fact that the wedding is not an evening wedding. I tend to only wear a fly plaid at a formal black or white tie affair. Of course this is up to you and your soon to be wife, if she's into the fly plaid; by all means...... it's her day make her happy.
    It is the best feeling in the world. Good luck, post pics when you can and allow us to pick you apart prior to the wedding. We merely do it out of respect to our heritage and the kilt.
    I'm very aware that "springing" anything on one's beloved is a quick way to an argument. She's had input on almost everything, though my groomsmen/ushers' gifts are a total surprise to her and them, and for good reason.

I'm wearing the fly plaid simply because I plan to have my groomsmen in (likely hired/rented) argylls & kilts, and would like a visual difference between them and me. Besides, it's my one day to dress the laird, so I shall. Many of the guests are pipers/members of the local Scottish [sic] Society, so there will likely be more than a few crails and argylls in the congregation (especially since the invitations include the phrase "Highland attire, if convenient" ).
    Last edited by BadenochWolf; 23rd September 14 at 07:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD: obsessive collie dog View Post
    Felt same on my wedding but the priest purloined it from the guest who was "holding it" and proceeded to threaten the choirboys with it in the vestry!

She should see some of the folks at our wedding <G>
    I've given the sgain a lot of thought. I'm considering some hand-carved, wooden-bladed sgains as groomsmen's gifts because a wooden blade can go anywhere. If I go through with that idea, I will probably get one for myself and wear it, as it's not *actually* a weapon.

About wedding guests: I made the same quip to the missus-elect, especially after the open bar really cranks up. She was not amused. :/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast