X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to wear under your kilt

Good afternoon All,

I have been working on an idea for something to wear under your kilt. It is something between a t-shirt and a tunic. I have made them out of woven fibers such as linen and cotton in varying weights. The have been working out very well. I have worn them with just a kilt and the lighter ones I have worn as an undershirt. Here is a picture of one done in a heavier linen with a pattern. I am thinking of offering to make them for gentlemen and ladies that might want something a little nicer for themselves.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYM2i99BuDB18wDJ8

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X Marks would welcome you as one of our advertisers but please read our advertising policy so there is no confusion.

Advertising & Promotion
    Our members want access to a wide array of kilts and kilt related products and services. To provide this we have accepted paid advertising from select companies who wish to present their products to our membership.

Advertising and/or Promotion are defined as:
    "A form of communication used to encourage, persuade, drive or induce an audience to take or continue some action concerning a commercial offering. It can be used to change or reinforce consumer behavior or offer assurances to consumers. Advertising often involves repetition of an image or product name in an effort to associate certain qualities with the image or name.
    Advertising does not always involve the direct sale of a good or service. An example would be the case of a public service announcement. If the result is an increase in awareness of a good or service it is advertising and /or promotion."

Any member of the forum who produces a kilt or kilt related product and who wishes to advertise on the forum will be directed to our advertising plan for details of our ad space and rates.

No other advertising or promotion will be allowed except those listed in the advertising plan.

This policy may also be found within our FAQ's.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thurl View Post

I have been working on...something between a t-shirt and a tunic...linen and cotton in varying weights...
    I am strongly reminded of Dr Stephen Maturin's experimental clothing...
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad concept as basically an extended-length undershirt, for those who prefer to have some lining beneath their kilt that extends down to the thighs. Were it me, I would want it to be somewhat form-fitting from the waist up so it's suitable as an undershirt, while being more loose from the waist down.

Would this type shirt fall under the definition of a sark?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based upon my reading, I suspect that the idea that “a true Scotsman “
    should not wear anything under his kilt arises from the fact that, from the Middle Ages, up until the mid 19th century, most European men didn’t wear anything that we, today, would equate to “ underwear”.
    Their shirts (usually made of linen) were long enough to also serve as underwear.

These shirts were wide, full, and long, reaching to the middle of the thighs. An average 18th c. shirt could be 60'" around the chest and 40" long. While some gentlemen wore under drawers, for most men a shirt was an all-purpose garment, with the long tales drawn between the legs to form underwear. Shirts were also worn for sleeping. As a result, shirts were frequently changed, and a man was judged by the cleanliness of his linen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D9B92CC-9FE7-4602-B401-65C1218D78E5.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	37290
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I am strongly reminded of Dr Stephen Maturin's experimental clothing...
    One of my most favorite series of books and possibly little known to those who do not sail or follow military history/fiction.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but underwear has been worn and documented back as far as the Romans and the Egyptians.

The term "gird your loins" comes from the practice of tying up before physical activity. It is even in the bible. Early undergarments were for comfort, support, and to prevent chafe.

Human bodies leak. Sorry that is a fact, and humans have worn something to keep the outer clothing clean for a very long time.

In the 100AD period a loincloth was worn. But the 1300's men wore braise. By the 1800 Knickers and drawers were developed.

Yes, what we think of as underwear today, as tailored garments, is a fairly recent thing, from the 1900's.

Today, many feel that wearing something under a kilt is not 'traditional' and that is a personal choice. But remember, Tartan drawers, sold along with the kilt, were the norm in the old catalogs some of our members like to post photos of.

I have read a letter from a Canadian solder in WWI written home that is in my local museum. He wrote saying that the British military uniform came with large boxer style undergarments but many guys would dispense with the underwear when they could not shower due to lice. Once they were out of the combat zone everyone in his unit put the uniform back on the way it was issued. With the underwear. He said that it was more comfortable and 'proper' for the morals of the day.

Here on X Marks there was a bit of interest in "under kilts" for a while. Basically a slip. Sometimes made from a t-shirt cut off with a waistband added. But the reason a ladies slip is made from slippery fabric is to keep it from bunching up under the skirt. I tried a cotton knit "under kilt" once. It ended up bunched up around the waist pretty quickly.

I also made a Kilt Shirt for a while but they did not sell very well. No one seemed to think it was necessary expect possibly to keep the wool away from the thighs.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 22nd August 19 at 12:26 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the Underkilt....basically a cotton skirt with elastic waist. Protects the kilt and allows freedom and the flexibility of wearing any shirt you choose.

I remain baffled why underkilts aren't a standard product of kilt vendors. Easy to make. Add on sale, maybe a three pack or a six pack.

I like mine black...shadowy. They also protect "ME" from rough wool when hiking.

But alas...they haven't caught on. Sad.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one of these "under kilts" from a company called J'Dez, this was some years back, but at something like $15 each, they were never going to sell. "Under kilts" are for people who are too insecure to just buy a slip. No one's going to see the damn thing, and the majority have no lace trim as a cliche of the garment.

The Kilt Police would suggest that such measures are a step too far, but such garments are a quarter of the price of any kilt liner...

Cutting up T shirts are unnecessary
    Kilted Technician!

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to thecompaqguy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast