X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kilt Belts

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall it was Figheadair who once posted about his belt being a narrow one worn high like the dirk belt. His favorite sporran, an antique, has a long loop on the back which functions like sporran hangers, sort of upside down hangers being a permanent part of the sporran.

Perhaps Figheadair, or in case it was someone else who posted the narrow belt idea he will repost his way of wearing a narrow belt high like a kilt belt.
    Last edited by Benning Boy; 20th October 19 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt belts

My band uniform is a shirt, tie waistcoat, etc. I only wear a belt when it's so hot that I want to carry a water bottle holder. That and the band kilt is a wee bit big! If it's not hot, then I (and another band member) wear suspenders! which are well hidden by the waistcoat.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The staight answer, as others have said, is no, however if you want to carry something from it that you can't put elsewhere, then possibly, yes. If wearing an open waistcoat without jacket, then sure wear a belt if you want to and if you are wearing some doublets, a belt is essential, but those selections are not in your question.
    Last edited by tpa; 26th October 19 at 10:12 AM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
    It's a simple truth that few things look more comical than the sight of a dirk-belt's buckle poking out from under your weskit and few things will do more to ruin your hard earned sartorial prestige.

Dirk belts, as Father Bill correctly calls them, are for wearing over a Kenmore, Balmoral or Montrose doublet with which a dirk may be correctly worn (wherever it's legal to do so). However, with or without a jacket a dirk-belt can look good on your kilt when you're not wearing a weskit - which is why your kilt should have two belt loops over the hips.

Formal or evening wear usually calls for a silver (or nickel plated) buckle - although polished or lacquered brass is okay as long as it doesn't clash with sporran cantle or jacket buttons. I've found that such shiny buckles can look incongruous with day or casual wear when a bronzed or black buckle can look really good. Also the modern enameled buckles can look good with casual kilt.
    I have found that the belt loops are not really necessary on a traditional kilt. The dirk belt will sit at the waist with no restraint necessary, since the kilt flares out both above and below the waist. A fair number of traditional kilt makers put belt loops only by customer request.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12