X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beijing Highland Games

Hello Rabble,

I was rather surprised to get notice of this event and I thought it might be of interest on the forum. On June 2nd, a group of business and cultural organizations in Beijing will be hosting the first Highland Games ever to be held in the Chinese capital. The venue is a park in the embassy district, where many foreign diplomats and businesspeople are located.

Since I am now working near Hong Kong, I will be unable to make it to this event, although I admit I am quite intrigued.

This link has details for those who would like to learn more: https://beijing.austcham.org/event/e...ighland-games/

Andrew

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was tickled by the stock photos of the announcement. I hope they will have a large participation and use photos of the crowd for future advertisement. A shame you can't make it. An envoy for the Rabble would have been a nice touch. Maybe you will get the chance someday.

Will you please inform us if there is media coverage. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I was tickled by the stock photos of the announcement...
    To be fair, they can hardly use pictures from last year's event.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nyckname For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the photo archive issue the organizers face. I used to photograph and write articles for a magazine (covering motorcycle rallies) that highlighted first annual events with advertised pictures from other venues. Once there are stock photos of the event, participation usually improves (or rarely, crashes in a glorious manner).

I still hope interest and attendance is high and embraced with same spirit as Highland games here in the U.S.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, there is a large upsurge of Chinese visitors to Scotland at the moment.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not surprised to hear that visitors from China are increasing.

I can attest that the Chinese are very aware of Scotland, which is called "Segulan" (say-goo-lawn) in Mandarin. Whenever I am kilted, I can hear people saying Segulan as I pass and there is much interest, photo-taking, and compliments about my attire.

I have also known a few Chinese educators who attended college or graduate school in Edinburgh and have very fond memories of their time there.

Beijing, being the capital, does have a few Scottish-themed events during the year (Burns Night, St. Andrews Tartan Ball) generally promoted by the British Embassy and Chamber of Commerce. There are a number of British curriculum schools in the city as well (British School of Beijing, BISS, Dulwich College). In fact, I taught IGCSE English there one year.

Living near Hong Kong, I regularly attend Scottish events there. But, of course, there is much more British culture in evidence in Hong Kong than elsewhere in China.

I will keep the Rabble posted on any coverage I see of the Beijing Games.

Andrew

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the press accounts, the Highland Games were a success, with over 700 people attending. Here are links to a few reports on the event, with lots of pictures:

https://beijing.austcham.org/event/e...ighland-games/
    https://www.britishchamber.cn/en/bei...es-was-packed/

I am glad to see the event was well-received. Unfortunately, having relocated to Shenzhen, I was unable to attend, although I have been active in the events of the Hong Kong Highlanders.

Andrew