X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Hey there,

My comments are somewhat related to your post. Summer last, I hiked up the Cobbler in Arrochar with some friends. It was warm-ish and the weather ranged from fine mist to outright downpours. I hiked in my favourite Bedrock sandals (no problems there) and an older-school cotton Survival. A merino wool T-shirt on top. The relevant message to your post is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up to the Cobbler, I realised my mistake: the cotton Survival was 100% soaked and while I was hiking upwards, my body heat did its job and kept me moderately warm. But when I stopped at the top to eat and then while walking ALL THE WAY DOWN, it was horrific. The wet cotton obviously didn't dry out, it kept all the water, and I was starting to get chilled. By the time I returned to "base camp", I stripped down and, shivering in moderately warm weather, put on other clothes. My success was the merino wool top layers I had been wearing. Even though that original T-shirt was soaked, I was warm enough. I will never hike in a cotton kilt again -- perhaps a polyviscose one from Rocky and Co., but whenever there's a chance of being stuck in the rain, I'll always go wool.

(I had a decent rain jacket at the beginning but it was warm enough that I was getting wet from my own sweat. I removed it and I then got wet from the rain -- which I preferred!)

Good luck on your adventure!
    Jonathan
    This is a very useful anecdote I will have to remember. I have not really gotten my cotton utility kilt wet yet. Clearly I need to avoid that.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy that my however-temporary-suffering will be useful. Perhaps others experiences will differ but that's mine. Ugh.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    This is a very useful anecdote I will have to remember. I have not really gotten my cotton utility kilt wet yet. Clearly I need to avoid that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm thinking since it's gonna be over 100 F the whole trip maybe a little wet cold would be a good thing....
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12