X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ann's point is interesting. I find it odd that the good old fashioned Shetland wool sweaters that were the standard a few decades ago are basically impossible to find now, while the formerly pricier lambswool is sometimes available. But I see Merino and Cashmere sweaters offered everywhere, often at what seem much lower prices than I remember from my younger days.

And cotton sweaters have gone from an oddity to a commodity.

I don't really understand it.

Another thing I've noticed is that the V-neck used to dip much lower on my chest than the new ones do. My old ones showed a couple of buttons on the front of my shirt, if I was wearing a bow tie (or no tie). Today's V-necks barely clear the collar of my shirt.

They are warmer, but seem to defeat the purpose the V-neck was developed to serve.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ws given to understand that Australian and New Zealand Merino wool was finer (due to both genetics and comparitivey poorer nutrition) than most varieties found in the UK.

I wonder if on April 12th the UK regains full sovereignty on WTO terms and if a more advantageous trade deal with (what are in fact old friends and family) in Australia and NZ can be struck and what impact that would hhave on wool prices in Scotland. I have been told by someone here in Australia that the woork for a trade deal has been done and could be signed by the end of May in the event of Brexit on WTO terms.

I am visiting Edinburgh for a week in August. Who knows if I will be visiting the EU or not by then!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12