X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found 13oz. P/V!!!

I was at Fraser & Kirkbright yesterday visiting Gordon and returning the damaged X Marks Tartan.

Gordon presented me with what we believe is the worlds first true 13oz. 65% Polyester / 35% Rayon. I am now the proud owner of 4 yards of Black Watch.

This is truly marvelous fabric. The hand is soft and velvety. The selvedge is very nice. The colors are true and deep. I can't wait to make this into a kilt.

Gordon warned me that this is only a test run. He only wove a small amount as a test. But if there is enough interest he will begin to produce this as a stock fabric and it will be available through his website.

He also explained that until he has some confirmed interest he cannot afford the expense of ordering a ton of yarn. He also said that he may not be able to get all the colors that would be needed to weave every Tartan.

So what he asked me to do, was to post here on X Marks and request anyone interested in 13oz. P/V to shoot him an e-mail and express your interest.

He will then assess if he should proceed with Black Watch first and then the variations of Black Watch. If you have a specific Tartan you would like to see let him know. All the P/V will be only modern colors. Reds and bright blues will be the hardest to get but he said Black Stewart and other similar Tartans should be possible.

Please e-mail Gordon at; info@wooltartan.com
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wowzer! Rocky has long been on the hunt for a heavier PV fabric. I have no interest in Black Watch. I would like to have something like the Caledonia tartan made from it (but, that's an awful lot of red ) Hmmm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may have been covered in a previous thread, but what is the roadblock standing in the way of heavier weight PV fabrics? Is it just the fact that no one produces the thread in that weight? If that is the case, is the thread not available because of a perceived lack of demand? Why the difficulty in getting specific colors? Sorry to ask so many questions, but it's an interesting conundrum.

NC has a rich textile heritage that has been dying out. I've told family friends who own a small cotton mill that there's money to be made in "niche" markets, like tartan production, but nothing's caught on in the state that I know o.

Cordially,
    David

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm less interested in PV than many here. However, I might buy SOME in a tartan I like.
    As for popular tartans:
    Black Watch should sell well.
    Gordon is rather popular as well, and VERY close to Black Watch.
    I'd be interested in Gordon (particularly) and, maybe, Black Watch.

I'd LOVE to feel some.
    If there are any samples/scraps left after your kilt, throw them in with my X Marks tartan order.

Now a couple key questions:
    Teflon coating?
    Price/meter (US-prefered- or Canadian)?
    -Just a non-commital ballpark is fine. A PM or email would be fine, if Gordon is not interesting is a price being seen on a public forum.

Also, for us Americans, would Gordon want to sell it direct, through The Scottish Weaver (some F&K connections), or both?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I understand the probablitity of selling Black Watch tartan could justify the fact that it is created first, I'm not interested in one more place to buy Black Watch.

Perhaps some of the County tartans, or state tartans and the military Branch tartans could be suitable alternatives for initial runs. I'd just like to see an option I can't get anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are they willing to do a Chattan?
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    While I understand the probablitity of selling Black Watch tartan could justify the fact that it is created first, I'm not interested in one more place to buy Black Watch.

Perhaps some of the County tartans, or state tartans and the military Branch tartans could be suitable alternatives for initial runs. I'd just like to see an option I can't get anywhere else.
    I've already e-mailed Gordon about the possibility of a Sackett P/V order, but that state idea ... how many of the Pennsylvanians out there would like the PA tartan in P/V? It is a Black Watch derivative (back to Steve's initial post), and the red stripes shouldn't present much of a problem. And there are enough Pennsylvanians here to make up at least a small run.
    Depending on Gordon's response, I may have to toss this idea out in a new thread.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for a Gordon Modern, possibly Black Stewart
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I bet he'd sell a LOT, if he wove up 20-30 meters of X-Marks tartan in PV.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast