X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a hike, and a nap, and awoke to this:

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Just as anywhere else in the wide world, McErn, we lay back in the sand and contemplate the clouds up there and the real meaning of life.

Back on topic: I have a new Ecuadorian panama that worked out quite well at the games last weekend. It has a few advantages over my fedora. First, it is cooler. Second, it gives a bit of warning before it is going to fly off. The brim will flap a bit before taking flight this gives me time to get a hand on the brim or the top as required. Cool weather and a chance of drizzle I each for the fedora. Sunny with no rain in sight then the panama gets the nod.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, it's my turn to post some pics for the people following this thread to comment on. I'll try to give some context about the event, location, crowd, and my own perspective. All constructive criticism is welcome, especially as it pertains to whether or not anyone has been too traditional, traditional enough, or needing to be more traditional. Hopefully this will give us a chance to talk about people wearing the kilt "in the wild," who aren't chiefs, nobles, or acting as officials, even if not all the people in the following pics are native Scots.

Burn's Supper in Hong Kong this year with the Hong Kong Highlanders and their associated Scottish Country Dance group. This was a black tie event and the majority of the attendees were Scottish expats or visitors. On the other hand, we should bear in mind that not everyone can bring their whole kilt wardrobe to HK... I didn't bring diced hose, which would have jazzed up my formal wear nicely.

Judging by what everyone else was wearing, I think the following outfit might have been a bit "too traditional" for the crowd, especially if I had added my buckle ghillie brogues:

Here is a picture from the event I mentioned in the OP, the Vice Chancellor's Dinner at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. The dress code was semi-formal or national costume, but the organizers encouraged us exchange students to wear our ethnic or heritage attire.

After the lion dance I changed into my kilt and was probably a bit over dressed because a tweed jacket would have been more appropriate. Space in my suitcase was at a premium though, so I could only afford to bring one jacket and had to make do. The lighting in the photo is bit off but my shirt is light blue and my hose are navy. I'm also wearing a CUHK school tie. Most students who weren't in national or ethnic attire mostly just wore a shirt (maybe a tie) and pants though a couple might have put on a suit, while professors and diplomats wore suits or blazers and pants.

On my left is an ex-pat Scot professor (who told me he doesn't own a kilt) and on my right is the VC. There was another Scottish professor there as well, but he said he left his kilt in Aberdeen:

In cold weather, one needs to dress warmly: multiple layers, a hat with ear flaps (in the pic the flaps or folded up inside the hat), kilt johns, etc. Here's a pic of me about to walk out to the pub to meet fellow Canadian Xmarker, NewGuise in Edmonton. At one point during the walk, I had to fold my hose up over my knees, but apart from that, I was OK.

At the pub, the shirt I'm wearing is a heavy wool. This place is pretty casual and a jacket and tie would have been overdressed:

Here are a few from the Toronto Tartan Day pub night last year. Normally, I wouldn't wear a tartan vest with a tweed jacket, but it was Tartan Day, so I decided to take it up a level. Also, I tried to follow the "no more than two pieces of tartan clothing at time" guideline and didn't wear my tartan tie. The shirt is tattersall and the hose are navy, though you can't really tell from this picture. You'll also see my buddy and a few Ontartio Xmarkers in these pics. Note that our piper (Andrew) took off his Glengarry when he put down the pipes:

Last edited by CMcG; 2nd May 12 at 07:42 PM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a black tie event and the majority of the attendees were Scottish expats or visitors.
    Colin, just out of curiosity, which ones in this photo are native Scots? I ask because I see a number of items being worn that would be considered non-traditional (or traditional, but not worn in the manner that we are often told is 'proper'). For example, the gentleman with the long hair is wearing what appears to be a more historical style coatee with a 'skinny tie'. Or several gentlemen wearing black shirts, and kilts that cover their knees.

I'm not trying to be overly critical of their dress, but was just wondering if there was a clear difference between how the native Scots were wearing it as opposed to non-Scots.

And by the way, whether it's really "traditional" or not, I love the look you have going on in the photo with the tartan waistcoat and hair sporran. That's one of my favourite pictures, and I think you look smashing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the name of that stand-on-it box? Is it traditional for a lady to stand on one covered in her own tartan or her husband's? What about unmarried women?
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Colin, just out of curiosity, which ones in this photo are native Scots?
    I can't honestly say in a precise way because I wasn't able to speak with everyone in attendance. If I recall correctly, one of the gents in the ruche ties on the left might have been an Aussie, and I assume the Asian fellow on the far right was a local. The majority of the rest were likely expat or visiting Scots, but I can't be sure... I certainly heard a lot of Scottish accents anyway! How many of them were Highlanders (despite the name of their group) might be another story...

As a further level of perspective, this picture is only the people who wore tartan to the event. There were quite a few ladies and gentlemen who didn't appear in this picture because of their lack of tartan
    Last edited by CMcG; 2nd May 12 at 07:14 PM. Reason: detail
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, Colin! Thanks for sharing. I think you look very smart and your personal style and approach towards Highland dress is definitely evident. Well done, mate.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CMcG,

In the picture where you are flanked by the two gentlemen, the guy to your left ( our right) appears to be wearing an A&SH necktie under his blue jacket.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    What is the name of that stand-on-it box? Is it traditional for a lady to stand on one covered in her own tartan or her husband's? What about unmarried women?
    Hahahahaha!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    CMcG,

In the picture where you are flanked by the two gentlemen, the guy to your left ( our right) appears to be wearing an A&SH necktie under his blue jacket.
    Good eye there M'Ll. I looked at a couple other photos from the evening where his tie is more clear and the position of the yellow and red stripes appears to be reversed compared to the Arygll and Sutherland Highlanders tie.

A&SH

The Chinese University of Hong Kong doesn't seem to have one single club tie the way other groups do, rather there are a bunch of different types of tie that all have the CUHK logo on them. I chose mine because it is done up in stripes that feature the distinctive colours of the school: gold and purple. As a result, I've had people recognize mine as being a CUHK tie without being able to see the logo.

I can't find a picture of the VC's tie that would show the bottom where the logo might be, but it is possible that his is a CUHK tie as well. The pattern, however, is not among the current offerings from the souvenir shop.

Here is a better view of mine, with the logo on the bottom right corner:
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at a couple other photos from the evening where his tie is more clear and the position of the yellow and red stripes appears to be reversed compared to the Arygll and Sutherland Highlanders tie.
    Maybe the pattern just appears upside down? I have a tie that's made that way. As you can see below, the pattern is the same as the example you showed, but it is just upside down. I'm guessing perhaps there's not much attention paid to the directionality of the pattern amongst tie makers?

I also notice that the VC's tie seems to have the blue and green stripes the same width, where they appear to be different widths in your example. Curious!

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast