X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please carefully remove stickers!

Yesterday I went to wear my latest Cheviot hose at a Burns supper, a lovely vivid Royal Blue with thick cable-knit tops, and I noticed the stickers which presumably been applied at the factory were stuck on very firmly.

I very, very slowly peeled off the sticker from one sock, but when I was doing the second sock the sticker pulled a thread as it came off. I couldn't have pulled the sticker more carefully! I could see the potential danger.

So a pulled thread before I wore the hose for the first time! And in the front where it's most visible.

It would be nice if Cheviot used a less-powerful adhesive for those labels, or put the labels in a place (such as under the cuff) where if they pulled a thread it wouldn't show.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you not pull the thread back through from the reverse side, using a needle? I only suggest/mention it as my (now dearly departed) mother used to do just that to prevent further unravelling!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange, I order all my House of Cheviot hose directly from the factory. I guess I have over 200 pair in my shop right now. I cannot find a single label stuck to the knitting at all.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently purchased three pairs of their Glencoe hose, and all they had on them was a paper tube label, no adhesive holding it to the hose.
    I believe myself to be always operating within reasonable boundaries of sanity.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an unfortunate situation. I would suggest using a wet sponge or washcloth to dampen the glue. Perhaps applying the wetness from the backside of the sticker, through the yarns.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Strange, I order all my House of Cheviot hose directly from the factory. I guess I have over 200 pair in my shop right now. I cannot find a single label stuck to the knitting at all.
    Same here.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They certainly looked like factory stickers, with the company name and nice graphics and all. Not simple aftermarket price stickers etc.

And they were STUCK on there! Very sticky glue like a bumper sticker or something. Why would they do that?

In any case, lesson learned. I won't buy another pair with the stickers. It's $60 I won't get back.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd February 19 at 10:10 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several pairs of their hose and on the mustard coloured pair the stitching holding the cuff to the sock began to come apart after the first wearing. I contacted them and emailed a photo and the sent me a replacement pair, no questions asked.