X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns Pub Night in Whitby!

Myself and a champion fiddler will be providing the entertainment for a Burns Night celebration at the Royal Oak Whitby Shores (617 Victoria St. West Whitby on Saturday January 25th.

I'm not getting paid any more for bringing people, but the more the merrier! If you don't have the budget for a posh Burns Celebration, this may be a great option near the 401 for you. It would be great to meet up with some fellow xmarksers and increase the kilted quotient!

Here are a couple of clips of some of what you'll hear :

jigs and reels
    http://youtu.be/FLgK8CFOyJY

slow air
    http://youtu.be/X0473aGgczk

There will also be songs, pipes, haggis, and all the other good things you enjoy, so strap on your kilt.

If you know some Burns Poetry, let me know and I may be able to get you on the mic to do a piece!
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cryin' shame you're not giggin' in the North Yorkshire variant of 'Whitby'. Sounds like a crackin' night and one I'd certainly travel to... if it were a bit more local.

Have a good time and don't forget the pictures so we can all join in after the fact.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to English Bloke For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan
    I do know Tam O'Shanter, To A Mouse and a couple others, though I would need a lift out there as I no longer have a car. Here is a video of me doing Tam a few years back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T5ZH...0JXEvAQYOZXigQ

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan, thanks for the links! What wonderful music, and Emily's dancing is awesome! If I didn't already have a Burns Supper to attend (and Toronto wasn't so far away) I'd be there.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I will be in transit on the 25th and will likely miss out on any and all Burns activities. Shame.

Hope your gig goes well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Nathan
    I do know Tam O'Shanter, To A Mouse and a couple others, though I would need a lift out there as I no longer have a car. Here is a video of me doing Tam a few years back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T5ZH...0JXEvAQYOZXigQ
    I live in Ajax, so it would be impractical to go get you, although the pub is very close to the Whitby Go station and I could maybe dip over and grab you there.

Anyone coming from Toronto want to give McMurdo a lift?
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bit of a drive for me, but I am contemplating attending. First, however, I'd like to clarify some details.

The Royal Oaks - Whitby Shores Facebook page is promoting Friday January 24th as their full Burns celebration. Nathan, you're playing Saturday the 25th, right? They will still have an "Everything Scottish" feature menu (January 6th to 26th) and I'm sure they have whisky everyday, but what about the pipes, Address to the Haggis, dancers, etc?

Also, the Royal Oaks - Whitby Shores webpage has you listed as performing from 6:00-10:00, but the Facebook event you created says you start at 8:00...

Please advise!
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    That's a bit of a drive for me, but I am contemplating attending. First, however, I'd like to clarify some details.

The Royal Oaks - Whitby Shores Facebook page is promoting Friday January 24th as their full Burns celebration. Nathan, you're playing Saturday the 25th, right? They will still have an "Everything Scottish" feature menu (January 6th to 26th) and I'm sure they have whisky everyday, but what about the pipes, Address to the Haggis, dancers, etc?

Also, the Royal Oaks - Whitby Shores webpage has you listed as performing from 6:00-10:00, but the Facebook event you created says you start at 8:00...

Please advise!
    This location is doing it on the 25th. The oak website is correct, it's 6 to 10. I'm fixing the facebook page! Sorry about the error. I've been told they are doing the full deal both nights at that location!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be Haggis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in possibly attending depending on weather conditions. Could handle 3 passengers comfortably. Would have to be back in downtown Toronto by 10:30 or so to pick up my dog at boarding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast