X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    The part I'd find annoying is that the article I read said it was to offset tourists who come only for the day... which doesn't quite seem fair.
    That seems odd. If they're talking about day tourists (such as cruise-ship passengers), then it would make more sense to increase the berthing fees for the cruise ships. (And before some avid cruiser gets on my case about that, 2 would be about a 15% increase for a port like Prospero, Mexico (don't ask how I know that off the top of my head), and a far lower percentage for a port like Edinburgh.) If you can afford a cruise that visits Edinburgh, it's a nominal increase.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    One very early morning recently (suffering from extreme jetlag) I sat on a wall and watched a large cruise ship drop anchor [...] and, within half an hour, disgorge enough passengers to fill the waiting 21 buses.
    I don't think I've ever been on a cruise ship that small. I've been on ships with a passenger capacity of 2,400 to 6,000. And I'm accustomed to being at ports with multiple ships at the same time. (Copenhagen had seven ships. St. Petersburg was six.)

Overtourism is a growing issue. There may be some wisdom for cities being a little proactive (or even reactive) about preparing for it.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    I don't think I've ever been on a cruise ship that small. I've been on ships with a passenger capacity of 2,400 to 6,000. And I'm accustomed to being at ports with multiple ships at the same time. (Copenhagen had seven ships. St. Petersburg was six.)
    I've never been on one of these floating monster hotels and have no idea how many passengers this one -- a Norwegian, I believe -- had on board. And, of course, I only saw it fill this many buses on this morning of this day. For all I know it sat in the Forth for a week and disgorged this number every day. I can tell you that barging three like this one together across the river would have caused a major jam.

And I can tell you that the manager of the Hawes Inn was not a happy woman. It seems this toilet use happens every time there's a ship anchored out there.

I will stick to the riverboat lines and the little 50-passenger Hebridean Princess, thank you.

But that's me and I can certainly see the revenue benefits to Edinburgh, although there is apparently little or nothing for South Queensferry.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah. Found it.

The bridge makes a good turnstyle, I think.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I saw the Royal Princess moored just east of the Forth bridges. That's a potential for up to 3500 visitors for a day. Up to 7k for revenue for a 1-day visit. It will most likely only have been there for 1 day. Not to be sneezed at by the hard-pressed local authorities. Given the number of cruise ships now appearing, it could quickly add up.

If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, of course, I only saw it fill this many buses on this morning of this day.
    Actually, if you know which day you took that photo on, you can look up the Edinburgh cruise ship schedule and figure out exactly which ship it is. Most cruise ships have their own Wikipedia page that lists the passenger capacity.

But that's a fairly good sized cruise ship in the photo. I wouldn't be shocked if it had around 2,000 passengers.

For all I know it sat in the Forth for a week and disgorged this number every day.
    It's more likely that it departed that evening, possibly to be replaced by a similar sized ship (or even larger ship) a day or so later. I saw a few ships on the schedule that carried 3,000+ passengers.

And I can tell you that the manager of the Hawes Inn was not a happy woman. It seems this toilet use happens every time there's a ship anchored out there.
    In an ideal world, the port would install free public restrooms on the pier.

Since this world is less than ideal, the inn manager could solve the problem on those mornings by putting out a sign that states, "Pay Toilets, 10." That will make her much happier about the passengers using the toilet ... and it will cut down on the number of passengers using the toilet. The passengers will start complaining to the cruise companies about the high cost of toilets. The cruise ship companies will complain to the ship terminal about the high cost of toilets ... and then the terminal might get around to installing a public restroom on the pier.

On an unrelated note:
    Nice work framing the ship between the two bridge supports.
    Last edited by Karl R; 11th February 19 at 11:17 AM.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    Since this world is less than ideal, the inn manager could solve the problem on those mornings by putting out a sign that states, "Pay Toilets, 10." That will make her much happier about the passengers using the toilet ... and it will cut down on the number of passengers using the toilet. The passengers will start complaining to the cruise companies about the high cost of toilets. The cruise ship companies will complain to the ship terminal about the high cost of toilets ... and then the terminal might get around to installing a public restroom on the pier.
    There is a public toilet right opposite the Hawes Inn, but it doesn't look like it could even cope with a small launch full of people, never mind a cruise ship tender in the time available to them.

I counted 79 cruise ships on the schedule carrying between 500 and 3600 passengers each. Not a bad little revenue earner.
    Last edited by tpa; 11th February 19 at 11:54 AM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Queensferry does not have anything resembling a “cruise terminal”. Passengers are deposited at a slipway below the Forth Bridge and pick up buses at the car park there. So no-one should imagine there is anything like a sophisticated facility for cruise passengers there. As for the Hawes Inn, any time abroad when using a pub/hotel toilet it is expected to at least buy a drink. The Hawes Inn needs to wise up a little if they allow unfettered access to their facilities in this way. I heard some pretty horrific stories in an Edinburgh restaurant yesterday about the way toilets there are misused by tourists (I won’t go into detail) and it costs for staff (and plumbers) to clean up afterwards.
    Last edited by EdinSteve; 11th February 19 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We may be going 'way off topic, Karl, but a few things from your last post: I was pretty careful to say that the only buses I was referring to were the 21 I saw lined up and that I had no idea how many passengers came ashore on the transfer boats carrying them to other places than Edinburgh; I've no idea how many other buses may have been waiting elsewhere to take their turns at the quayside, or how many back-and-forth trips those transfer boats made. As tpa and EdinSteve have pointed out, South Queensferry is only one of several disembarkation ports for Edinburgh and elsewhere in Scotland. All I was trying to do here was show that there is a benefit to tourism in Scotland, and that the accommodation/room tax is simply a means for local government to share in that.

Most towns in Scotland, including S Queensferry, have public toilets. I think I noted that the nearest to the quayside is just down the road from the Hawes Inn; and there may be a cultural misunderstanding in your tongue-in-cheek suggestion that the Innkeeper could levy a charge for toilet use. That sort of grab would never have occurred to her, or to most of us. Her complaint was these folk didn't have the good manners and consideration they should have had. The only point here was in support of the OP's statement that S Queensferry, doesn't see any direct benefit from cruise ships in its harbour. The benefits, however, are seen to Edinburgh and the country as a whole.

Thanks for your compliment on the pic.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 11th February 19 at 02:13 PM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123