X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new jacket...opinions?

As Promised here is my new jacket.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/a...achmentid=7537
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/a...achmentid=7541
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/a...achmentid=7540
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/a...achmentid=7539

Corduroy with mandarin collar and black satin trim. What do you think? How formal/casual can it go? Does the cut work? Is the satin too formal to go with the corduroy? What if it were a different fabric? Black Barethea for a PC replacement? What about cotton or linen for a summer jacket? This jacket was made to measure at a cost of $120 US. I think I got a good deal. Took about a month from order to delivery. There are three inside pockets, two breast big enough for a wallet and a ticket pocket. Please give your honest opinions...my skin is thick.
    Rondo

Cowichan Valley 48 39' 1" N 123 34' 54" W
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. I would think corduroy gets classed near to tweed in this application. I think the satin does take it up a notch. Im not sure how I feel about it without the belt? Maybe because its an unusual cut, but not bad. There is no reason why one cant use cotton or linen for a summer jacket. Linen & cotton may not be strictly highland wear, but the Scots didnt live in Arizona either. At that price its a steal.

bottom line ... I like it Rondo
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hang my sporran from my kilt belt so no waistcoat for me. Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to wearing it out tomorrow.
    Rondo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it Rondo. The color and corduroy for some reason sorta remind me of Liam Neesons Rob Roy coat a little.
    I wonder if it might be nice with a bit of a "sporran cutaway" in the front? That's my only suggestion.
    I like it.
    "Fide et Fortitudine"
    (fidelity & fortitude)
    ALBA GU BRAW!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got your jacket, rondo. Sounds interesting.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly? I think two things would improve this jacket.
    1. A more rounded shape to the bottom.
    2. Do without the satin facings. To me the satin and corduroy just don't work well together. I would have either used only the corduroy cloth, or if you wanted any sort of contrasting facings used a brown leather.

But that's my taste, and you of course have the benefit of seeing the jacket in person and so have a better idea of how it really looks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks like a German country jacket.
    Omnibus rebus impossibilibus remotis, quidquid relictum sit,
    quamvis, debet esse veritas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRick View Post
    I think it looks like a German country jacket.
    This was my first thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    Honestly? I think two things would improve this jacket.
    1. A more rounded shape to the bottom.
    2. Do without the satin facings. To me the satin and corduroy just don't work well together. I would have either used only the corduroy cloth, or if you wanted any sort of contrasting facings used a brown leather.

But that's my taste, and you of course have the benefit of seeing the jacket in person and so have a better idea of how it really looks.
    I don't necessarily think the bottom needs rounding (but I like Teutonic tailoring styles ) but I do agree that there is a disconnect between the black sating facing and the brown corduroy. It could just be the photographs but it
    does appear to make a pretty severe contrast between a relatively formal fabric and the rather casual jacket body.

The fit looks good though.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Rondo,

Here is what I can't tell from photos: is the overall quality pretty good? Would you pay $120 for this jacket if you found it on a rack?

I am with Matt, I am not sure about the satin facings. Again, I can't tell, though. Some satin would look good, some would look overly dressy, and some would look cheesey. If the build quality is good and the fabrics are good, then the worst that can happen is it might look too dressy. If the materials or the build quality is/are disappointing, then it might require you to wear it with extreme confidence.

I say THANKS, though, because we are one step closer to knowing whether to do business with these people or not.

I am not sure, but I would guess that X Markers have tastes and budgets ranging from "$120 for a jacket!? I wear $25 jackets." to "120 for a jacket? Can't expect much quality at that low price." I do believe there are bargains out there and I think many of them come from sources like your vendor. Please give us your critical assessment.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Matt on this. However, I think that a mandarin collar isn't the best choice if the jacket and collar are to be left open. IMHO.
    Gu dùbhlanach
    Coinneach Mac Dhòmhnaill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast