X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tailoring an argyle jacket.

I was wondering if it was possible to have the sleeve with a gauntlet cuff of an argyle jacket shortened without ruining the jacket? Let’s say I found a jacket on eBay or somewhere similar but the sleeves were too long. How would I go about it? I probably wouldn’t be doing it, but a local tailor.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While lI don’t know the particulars of how it’s done, I’ve had the sleeves shortened on several eBay-purchased gauntlet cuffed Argyll jackets by a local alteration shop. I can’t imagine it would be a challenge for an experienced tailor or seamstress.

Take the jacket to the shop and they’ll have you try it on and will mark up the sleeves with chalk and/or pin them up to your satisfaction, then will make the alterations required. It shouldn’t take too long or cost too much (at least in my experience).

Cheers,

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 22nd November 21 at 06:20 AM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am absolutely no tailor, but I think a good tailor might even remove the sleeve and shorten it at the shoulder. I've been surprised by some of the ways my fellow has successfully made a variety of adjustments.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on how your arm fits into the sleeve shape - over the years I have recut sleeve caps to keep most of the sleeve as it was, shortened the cuff and removed a piece from behind it as the sleeve was long below the elbow and the cuff made in proportion, or cut the cuff off and shortened the sleeve then reattached the unaltered cuff. The last one was the most difficult as it was a mass produced jacket.

Tailor made garments with some age seem to be the easiest garments to alter. Some modern garments are impossible to work on as the seam structure is all that is keeping the threads together.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot depends on how the cuffs are made.

Here are three Argyll jackets, the left and middle ones have a false cuff sewn all around onto the sleeve prior to the back seam of the sleeve being sewn. I suppose it would be possible to completely remove the cuff and move it higher. But not knowing if there's fabric underneath the cuff, or if it's possible to remove the cuff cleanly, I couldn't say whether it would be possible to lengthen the sleeve.

The jacket on the right has the cuff as a separate piece, thus it would be simple to move the cuff higher or lower on the sleeve.

Here you can see that the cuff is lined in satin like the rest of the jacket.

Last edited by OC Richard; 24th November 21 at 05:28 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I am absolutely no tailor, but I think a good tailor might even remove the sleeve and shorten it at the shoulder. I've been surprised by some of the ways my fellow has successfully made a variety of adjustments.
    I had two jackets with gauntlet cuffs shortened in exactly this way. Turned out beautifully.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I look at that picture I think - that is SO cheating!!

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be aware that with Highland jackets it's long been common for the wrists to be fully covered, with the sleeves coming down around a third of the way between the wrists and the knuckles.

I know with modern non-Highland suits the sleeves are often rather short, even exposing the wrists, the intention being to have an inch or two of the shirt showing.

As always the Duke of Rothesay is impeccable.

What you don't want is this

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th December 21 at 06:03 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCR.

I can well remember discussing this point about kilt jacket cuff length with my tailor. As the measurements were being passed on to the scribe, I did question the measurement for the length of the sleeves and the reply that I shall never forget, "we dont want to get our shirt cuffs wet , do we sir", and over the years I have had occasion to thank him, under my breath, for his wisdom.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies to all. I seem to have posted more or less the same words in two threads. I suppose the two posts are relevant to both threads. Nevertheless, it does appear to me a tad strange! I am not at all sure how that happened, might be something to do with old age.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th December 21 at 12:32 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast