X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan Design help

60ADB854-E4A5-461B-9CCF-992F8FCCD3E2.pngHi I’m looking to design a dress tartan in my family’s tartan Logan Modern. If anybody could give me some pointers on how to do that or can be more involved in the design process that would be great. Anything would help. Thanks
    Last edited by Patty Logan; 16th October 19 at 03:40 PM.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask please.

When you say a "Dress Tartan" do you mean a Tartan for more formal events or one more suitable for a ladie's dress?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not sure what you mean? I’ve seen tartan variations that use white and call them self a dress tartan, is that what you mean?
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Steve is referring to "dress" or arasaid tartans intended for feminine wear, which have broad swaths of white added to an ordinary Clan tartan (or military tartan).

I've seen a very large number of Americans think that "dress tartans" are for men to wear at formal occasions. They are not.

As far as designing a women's arasaid tartan, you can look at Dress Gordon (which is extremely popular) for an idea of how to plop a wide white band into an existing tartan. https://www.google.com/search?q=dres...#imgrc=_&vet=1
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th October 19 at 06:57 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The names used for some Tartans can be quite confusing.

One weaver explained their choice in naming like this.

Black Watch, Modern
    It refers to the color, not the Tartan design, that is modern. The colors are when modern, aniline dyes are used. The colors are often bright and vivid.

Black Watch, Ancient
    Again, it is not the tartan that is ancient but the colors which were chosen to simulate what the Tartan may have looked like if natural dyes were used.

Black Watch, Weathered
    Another simulation of what the Tartan may or could possibly look like if faded after 40 years of being outdoors.

Black Watch, Dress
    Not "Dressier" or more formal, but having one of the background colors changed to white to create a lighter, more feminine, looking Tartan, more like a ladies dress.

This explanation is not universal of course. Other weavers have different names and reasons that they chose their colors.

There is not, and never has been, a standard for naming Tartans, the colors, or the names of anything else in highland wear.

If someone wishes to design a Tartan for more formal events and wishes to call it a dress version they are, of course, free to do so. Others have.
    This is why I asked my question.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes a "dress" tartan will just replace one of the colors with white (check out my kilt tartan-- it appears the green in the "standard" tartan is what has been replaced). In your case, it would likely be either the green or the blue (try both and see which you prefer). I think you could start there.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty1059 View Post
    60ADB854-E4A5-461B-9CCF-992F8FCCD3E2.pngHi I’m looking to design a dress tartan in my family’s tartan Logan Modern. If anybody could give me some pointers on how to do that or can be more involved in the design process that would be great. Anything would help. Thanks
    There is no such thing as the Logan Modern tartan, there's the Logan tartan which, like the majority of clan tartans, is produced in a variety of shades of which Modern is but one. Others include; Ancient, Muted, Reproduction and Weathered.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    There is no such thing as the Logan Modern tartan, there's the Logan tartan which, like the majority of clan tartans, is produced in a variety of shades of which Modern is but one. Others include; Ancient, Muted, Reproduction and Weathered.
    I had assumed it meant he wanted to make it specifically in the "modern" colorway (though I could make an argument that an "ancient" or "muted" colorway could look very nice as a dress tartan-- I think I once saw a muted dress Black Watch or Campbell that was quite striking, and former Highland Dance world champion Colleen Rintamaki wore a "muted" dress Green Lindsay that I once heard was actually a dyeing mishap from the mill that she liked and decided to keep).
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you do understand that there are more than one Tartan listed with The Scottish Register of Tartan? In fact there are 12 under "Logan".

The one you show in the image in post #1 is called Logan #7 with this description -

"Jamie Scarlett MBE says this follows Logan's count of 1831 and is/was frequently seen with the five red lines of equal width. Same as #1429 (original Scottish Tartans Authority reference) MacLennan. Lochcarron weaves this and calls it Ancient Logan.A Logan tartan is mentioned by Telford Dunbar in his 1962 'History of Highland Dress' (Page145) when he states that it appeared in William Wilson's stock list of 1800. It's not known if it was this one. "

This is the one woven by Locharron and sold under the name Logan/MacLennan.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner