X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Interesting but complete marketing rubbish IMHO.

Even in the dim and distant past (1946) I find it hard to believe that such a piece would not have been a) photographed, and b) loaned or given to the National Museum.

There're shades of the Duoai Mss story here - the Sobieski Stuarts claimed it as the basis for the VS but surprise surprise they couldn't/wouldn't make it available for examination by Sir Dick Lauder.

To paraphrase Gerry Maguire - Show me the money!

Exactly what I think as well. Thats originally why I had inquired as to whether anyone had any special insight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume the Robertson tartan mentioned above is STWR #893. Am I correct?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris at Heathfield View Post
    I assume the Robertson tartan mentioned above is STWR #893. Am I correct?
    Correct. I examined that piece a number of years ago and checking my records (no photo) find that the count matches the sample of Prince Charles Edward's Plaid at Blair Castle mentioned in my earlier post and which is a piece of the 1821 copy rather than the original at Moyhall. That was the same sett but had a different count.
    Last edited by figheadair; 3rd December 10 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Clarification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, you are a fount of knowledge. Thank-you for your constant input.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    Peter, you are a fount of knowledge. Thank-you for your constant input.
    You know what's really sad? Since Jamie Scarlett died there's no-one else with whom I can discuss the really technical details of old pieces, especially where there are anomalies, and argue concepts, theories etc. I fear that we are loosing the link which doesn't bode well for the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    You know what's really sad? Since Jamie Scarlett died there's no-one else with whom I can discuss the really technical details of old pieces, especially where there are anomalies, and argue concepts, theories etc. I fear that we are loosing the link which doesn't bode well for the future.
    That is sad. Very distressing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for Peter

Peter, if there's no one left to talk with, I agree it is sad, at the same time, I am exceedingly grateful that you are who you are and that you CHOOSE to do with your time what you do. More articles, more of us talking about it and
    expressing our interest may turn up someone to sort of apprentice with you.
    Or someone already on the forum who has been willing to stand back will perceive the need to step up. This has always been the challenge of being
    1, an educator; 2, a historian. I'm sure Cajunscot would have thoughts here.
    One spends a life gathering information hoping to inspire others, I think it's
    clear you've done that. We must all have faith that the system will continue
    working as well as it has, and hope that there will be improvement.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Peter, if there's no one left to talk with, I agree it is sad, at the same time, I am exceedingly grateful that you are who you are and that you CHOOSE to do with your time what you do. More articles, more of us talking about it and
    expressing our interest may turn up someone to sort of apprentice with you.
    Or someone already on the forum who has been willing to stand back will perceive the need to step up. This has always been the challenge of being
    1, an educator; 2, a historian. I'm sure Cajunscot would have thoughts here.
    One spends a life gathering information hoping to inspire others, I think it's
    clear you've done that. We must all have faith that the system will continue
    working as well as it has, and hope that there will be improvement.
    Hear! Hear!

I too am grateful for the work done by gentlemen like Peter, Bob Martin, and Matt Newsome. Thank you gentlemen!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123