X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belted Plaid pleating tips and tricks?

Hello!
    I have two Belted Plaids, one is 4 meters and the other is 5 meters. I usually fold the pleats so they are 2 setts deep. I like the way single sett pleats look and sway, and the number of pleats you get. But since they're so shallow they tend to move around and get unorganized rather quickly where deep pleats do not. I also never seem to be able to get my pleats centered on my backside properly.

I was curious how other people pleat their Plaids? Deep pleats or shallow pleats? Number of pleats? How much reveal each pleat has? And any tricks to center the pleats on your bum?

Thank you
    Derek Carbaugh

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Derekc5555 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lay out a good piece of cotton duck on a clean floor....pleat your plaid up the way you want it so that it ends up centered on the canvas....press the pleats with a steam.iron...just press...down up and move, now you can roll your plaid up and not have to fool with it so much...just fold the edges of the canvas over the plaid like you ar making a burrito and roll it up lenghtwise....bonus...keeps out moths.

I don't know how big you are, but that sounds like alot of material to stuff into a plaid...you might consider a smaller one....ultimately it is all your call though.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to llyd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llyd View Post
    lay out a good piece of cotton duck on a clean floor....pleat your plaid up the way you want it so that it ends up centered on the canvas....press the pleats with a steam.iron...just press...down up and move, now you can roll your plaid up and not have to fool with it so much...just fold the edges of the canvas over the plaid like you ar making a burrito and roll it up lenghtwise....bonus...keeps out moths.

I don't know how big you are, but that sounds like alot of material to stuff into a plaid...you might consider a smaller one....ultimately it is all your call though.
    I'm not a big person at all. 5'9" with a 28" waist. Weren't the average Plaids 4-5 yards?

If I do the burrito wrap, will it ruin the pleats if I use it as a blanket? I keep both my Plaids folded on the couch for when it gets cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well there is that. as you are using them for a blanket you are stuck pleating every time.
    I have a 31 in waist, and one of my great kilts is a little more than two yards with single set pleats. the other is bigger, but I am not done playing with it yet.....it started out as five yards of tweed plaid....waaay too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llyd View Post
    well there is that. as you are using them for a blanket you are stuck pleating every time.
    I have a 31 in waist, and one of my great kilts is a little more than two yards with single set pleats. the other is bigger, but I am not done playing with it yet.....it started out as five yards of tweed plaid....waaay too much.
    How many pleats do you get out of your 2 yard plaid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea....never counted..SWMBO made it and informed me I was to wear it to rennfaire...measured me while I was napping...lol...they make it from hip to hip though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 3 meters of 18 oz double width, this is the equivalent of 6 meters of tartan in the Great kilt wearing period.

I go in 5 vertical bars from one end, I pull all the black bars to where they touch, leaving no black showing on the outside. I pleate till I get to 5 vertical back bars left on the other end, Then I lay on it, wrap it around, stick by belt underneath me and buckle it. Stand up and arrange it.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I attached an image, wish it would show up. So tired of this merde with sharing photos

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belt loops

I started with 7 yards of double wide, and cut it down to about 6.
    I laid out the 6 and pleated it how I wanted, and used the 1 yard to make belt loops and sewed one belt loop on the inside of each pleat. I used the rest of the small piece to nake a long fabric belt (so they all blended together) now I just grab the ends of the belt and push the belt loops together and tighten the belt.
    If I'm going out and need a sporran I'll put on a second belt--my leather kilt belt.
    Literally takes seconds to put it on.

The Belted Plaid- 2 belts are better than 1

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Kilted Canadian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    I use 3 meters of 18 oz double width, this is the equivalent of 6 meters of tartan in the Great kilt wearing period.

I go in 5 vertical bars from one end, I pull all the black bars to where they touch, leaving no black showing on the outside. I pleate till I get to 5 vertical back bars left on the other end, Then I lay on it, wrap it around, stick by belt underneath me and buckle it. Stand up and arrange it.
    What tartan is your plaid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast