X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boutonniere Options

As the local guy in a kilt and minister, I have been asked to perform a few kilted weddings. The most recent is that of a young couple with some interesting ideas. Most of the ideas relate to decorations involving tartan ribbon and such. However one idea they had struck me as clever er and I thought I'd see what the rabble thinks. Bearing in mind that it's their wedding and so long as the ideas are appropriate for a church function, I'll say nothing against them. So this is strictly moot point.

They wish to use the clan plant badge in their flowers (bouquet and boutonnieres). Seems like a nice way to incorporate them, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Sir Didymous; 22nd May 19 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Auto-correct issues
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's beautiful. What could be wrong with a clan's plant badge short of it being skunk cabbage?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a clever idea...
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the idea of clan plants used in any ceremony. A backdrop for a man's flower (if my clan were used) would be a Hazel sapling (or at least a leaf).
    Due to the size, maybe in the bouquet or table setting. I hope the young couple the best and appreciate, plus approve, of their idea.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well alright flowers are part of a wedding and if that is what the happy couple want , then fine. To be honest though, it all sounds rather unnecessarily detailed in the symbolism and over the top.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well alright flowers are part of a wedding and if that is what the happy couple want , then fine. To be honest though, it all sounds rather unnecessarily detailed in the symbolism and over the top.
    Agreed. One's mind also boggles with some of the 'traditional' Plant Badges: Fir Club Moss, Crowberry, Holly etc,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Agreed. One's mind also boggles with some of the 'traditional' Plant Badges: Fir Club Moss, Crowberry, Holly etc,
    Fortunately, the badges in this case are heather and thiistle. But, I see your point.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern