X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Face Mask in the Homeless Tartan

A topical tartan accessory.
    Selling very well at present.
    https://slanjkilts.com/masks/homeless-tartan-mask
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool

I am tempted by a tartan mask but since I've made my own (non-tartan) I guess I'll do without.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

the desolate sandy wastes of Tucson, Sonora Desert, Baja Arizona, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sport Kilt also has some tartan masks. We've got a couple, and they're well-made — there's even a pocket for a filter that they don't mention on their site.
    - The Beertigger
    "The only one, since 1969."

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Beertigger For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered two of the SportKilt tartan masks. Seemed okay on the website but when they arrived I found them too small for a manly Scottish face.

Not the only mask maker to skimp on size to save cloth...let the buyer beware.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    I ordered two of the SportKilt tartan masks. Seemed okay on the website but when they arrived I found them too small for a manly Scottish face.

I think that's a bit unfair. I bought one as well, and the size of the mask is actually quite large compared to others I've purchased or made myself. If your face is so large that a standard size mask won't fit, you may need a custom one. I don't believe they were "skimping" on material. They just build masks for an average size.

If anything, my Sportkilt mask was almost too large for me. I had to take some slack out of the elastic bands because they were loose around the back of my head, and the mask sides nearly went to my ears.

My only real complaint about their mask is the shape of the bottom. When my mask is worn up over my nose properly, the bottom barely covers my chin and isn't shaped for a snug fit or seal. I could definitely see how a person with a taller face (not necessarily wider, just taller) would have problems with the mask not even covering their bottom lip. Is this the problem you're having, Ron? Or is it more of a width issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the SportKilt mask a little too small, too. It's a pity, cause it was in Clergy tartan.

But the masks that I really find comfortable are those from JC-RT.com, NYC makers of "plaid" shirts in eye-popping and wonderful patterns, many of them inspired by the color palettes of movies.

I have the First Responders Variety Pack of five designs. The masks feature a filter pocket and a place to insert a pipe cleaner over the nose, and they come in three different sizes -- I'm wearing size large.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	38984 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	38985

Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I think that's a bit unfair. I bought one as well, and the size of the mask is actually quite large compared to others I've purchased or made myself. If your face is so large that a standard size mask won't fit, you may need a custom one. I don't believe they were "skimping" on material. They just build masks for an average size.

If anything, my Sportkilt mask was almost too large for me. I had to take some slack out of the elastic bands because they were loose around the back of my head, and the mask sides nearly went to my ears.

My only real complaint about their mask is the shape of the bottom. When my mask is worn up over my nose properly, the bottom barely covers my chin and isn't shaped for a snug fit or seal. I could definitely see how a person with a taller face (not necessarily wider, just taller) would have problems with the mask not even covering their bottom lip. Is this the problem you're having, Ron? Or is it more of a width issue?
    I had a similar issue with the mask being too big. The elastic also seems to stretch out a bit quicker than I'd like. I have found that washing it on at least warm tends to bring the elastic back in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I think that's a bit unfair.
    Don't think it's unfair to say what is real. You know my size and face...been on this forum a long time. I have an average size head.

Could phrase it another way, the size of the masks from SportKilt are smaller than the masks from other folks cranking them out. So they were too small for me to feel protected wearing them. Sad since they were in tartans I wanted to fly.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think it's unfair to say what is real. You know my size and face...been on this forum a long time. I have an average size head.

Could phrase it another way, the size of the masks from SportKilt are smaller than the masks from other folks cranking them out. So they were too small for me to feel protected wearing them. Sad since they were in tartans I wanted to fly.
    My "unfair" comment was to your accusation that they skimped on size to save cloth, as if they were intentionally providing an inferior product in order to maximise profit. I really don't think that's the case. The fact that they cut the tartan for a symmetrical pattern at the centre seam means that they are actually wasting a lot of cloth, not trying to skimp. Most likely, they are just using a mask pattern that isn't optimal for some face sizes or shapes but suit others just fine. I've found that mask designs are all over the place in terms of fit and coverage, and there's no way to make a one-size-fits-all mask.

At any rate, if their masks don't fit you well, I can understand the frustration. But saying that they did it just to save cloth doesn't seem like a fair representation of what's going on.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, okay, I get it now. The skimping reference comes from many many years working in the cut and sew business where every tiny little bit mattered to the big picture of profits. We even counted the thread used. Understand the tartan positioning too.

So you're right, maybe, maybe not. Maybe he pattern maker has a small face.

As most shoppers have found out, and as most folks in the cut and sew industry know well similar garments marked as a certain size, but from different manufacturers, can vary greatly when measured.

The hope of having a cool tartan mask to wear turned to disappointment when the masks arrived and my face was too large to fit into them.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 10th July 20 at 07:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast