X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ties

Whenever I see somebody with a tie and their kilt on, the tie tip is above the kilt. I always have tied ties so they come about even with my belly button or an inch below (often below the belt on my trousers). Because of my height, I usually buy tall men's ties so the tag end is close to the seen end. Guess I need to buy short man ties for dressing up with my kilts?

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A shorter tie would definitely help, if you can find them. My problem is that 'normal' length ties are almost too long just for normal wearing with trousers. With a kilt, they're way too long. So I have to tie it so the front is correct, but the tail is hanging ridiculously long. I just tuck it into my kilt, or put it into the shirt placket between the buttons. Some guys also just tuck the whole tie into the kilt, which isn't done with Saxon style dress but seems to be acceptable with kilt -wearing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice Tobus. I knew I could get an answer here that would work. Never thought of tucking the tag end inbetween the shirt buttons, though in my experience, that always shows some from the side. Tucking it inot the kilt works for me, and now that you mention it, I remember seeing that before.

Saxon style dress? Pray tell, what is that, and distinguished from what other style of kilt dress?

Thanks!

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A waistcoat (or sweater vest) can hide multitude of sins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. I hope to soon order a waistcoat. Just waiting on $.

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
    Good advice Tobus. I knew I could get an answer here that would work. Never thought of tucking the tag end inbetween the shirt buttons, though in my experience, that always shows some from the side. Tucking it inot the kilt works for me, and now that you mention it, I remember seeing that before.
    It can show from the side if it's a narrower tie. But a wide tie will hide it just fine. Tucking it into the bottom also has a risk of showing if the tie is tied just above the top of the kilt. As you can see in my photos below, in the first example I've tucked the tail into my kilt (you can see it just behind the bottom "V" of my tie). In the second, though, I've tucked it between the buttons of the front placket because the tie is plenty wide enough to hide it.

This is one of those silly issues that you have to really think about when you're getting dressed. I usually don't tie my tie until my kilt is on, so I can adjust the length to sit at the top of my kilt. But because the kilt is already on, it's a tad difficult to fish the tail end between the shirt buttons and then be able to pull it from underneath. There's a lot of wiggling and squirming as I attempt to push it below my kilt line, from inside the shirt, and then reach up under the kilt and find it to pull it snug. It's much easier just to tuck it into the kilt right behind the front part of the tie. But I just don't like being able to see it there, as in my first photo above.

The third option, as I mentioned previously, is just to tuck the whole kit-n-kaboodle into the kilt, and not worry about how long you've tied the tie. As shown below.

Saxon style dress? Pray tell, what is that, and distinguished from what other style of kilt dress?

Thanks!

Frank
    It's just a term we use here to differentiate between common men's clothing styles when wearing trousers and suits, as opposed to Highland (kilted) styles which follow a different set of rules. So far as I know, it's incorrect for a man wearing trousers to tuck his entire tie into his trousers. But it's done quite often with kilts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking pretty sharp Tobus, and thanks for the tips, as always. Once I get my jacket back from VMac, I'm looking to play with some of this stuff. I really don't have much yet. I want to get another sporran, something a bit roomier that the one I got with my acrylic Black Watch kilt, and something with tassels like the ones you have on. Also, I need a wider belt sometime soon. I have a couple pair of kilt hose on the way to me, lovat blue and lovat green to add to my plain cotton black ones. I want some red kilt hose at some point. I find having only one pair of kilt hose keeps me from wearing a kilt two days in a row.

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the tartan ties I've ever found are made way short....why why why....no where near the length of standard men's ties. Won't cover my front porch so as above had to clasp my hands or look like Oliver Hardy.

Someone said its from the width of the woven cloth but seems double wide would be plenty long enough. How can tiemakers - who's livelihood is ties - make ties too short to fit the average man?
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    The third option, as I mentioned previously, is just to tuck the whole kit-n-kaboodle into the kilt, and not worry about how long you've tied the tie. As shown below.

It's just a term we use here to differentiate between common men's clothing styles when wearing trousers and suits, as opposed to Highland (kilted) styles which follow a different set of rules. So far as I know, it's incorrect for a man wearing trousers to tuck his entire tie into his trousers. But it's done quite often with kilts.
    This is the style in which I usually prefer (tucking the tie underneath the top of the kilt), yet I do not tuck the tip of my tie all of the time; it simply depends on my mood that day. Of course, a waistcoat does wonders, but simply cannot be worn all of the time due to temperature issues, i.e. - if it's too bloody hot out! By the way Tobus, your new tweed jacket looks very smart. What a lovely pattern!

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 16th October 12 at 07:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, Tobus has some very cool jackets!

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast