X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sonora Celtic Faire

Greetings all

Just wondering who all may be planning on going this weekend to the Sonora Celtic Faire?
    http://www.sonoracelticfaire.com/

Hope to see you there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sonora Celtic Faire

My family and I will be attending on Saturday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always loved the Sonora Celtic Faire! Unfortunately, the Mrs. and I have other commitments this weekend. Despite that, we are still thinking about blowing off some of our commitments and showing up Sunday. I probably will not know until Saturday evening.
    Michael the Farlander

Loch Sloy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing Wolfstone at Sonora a few years ago. Unfortunately, I have a gig with my Guild on Saturday and I SWORE to the Mrs. that we'd go hiking on Sunday.

San Francisco, California or there abouts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too far from home. Say hello to the Nathan and the rest of the Utilikilts crew out there for me.

Best regards,

Jake
    [B]Less talk, more monkey![/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was our first time at the Sonora fair. It was fun and a good reason to proudly wear the kilt, however, I was slightly disappointed. Having gone several years in a row to Pleasanton, I was expecting more Scot related vendors and activities. IMHO, with Pirates and Ren-Faire costumes, it was not the thrill of dozens of pipers and highland games. I must say though, the music events were great! Also enjoyed the whisky tasting!! A surprising find was "Wemyss Spice King 8 Yr" - delicious! It appears to be a blended whisky (blend of single malts? - still researching). A daily drinker. Very nice!

Anyone know about the "Woodland Highland Games" event? Is it like Sonora or more traditional games like Pleasanton?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't compare it to Sonora as I've never been, but I'd say Woodlands is a scaled down Pleasanton. Perhaps not so heavy on the pipe bands, but much bigger than Livermore, Campbell, or Dunsmuir by far and not very ren. YMMV.

Best regards,

Jake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So another great year has passed for the Sonora Celtic Faire. Though it had its good point and bad. The good points, great music, great games, fantastic music and I bought my first kilt!
    I stopped by the UK booth and bought a black Workmans UK. I had a few to choose from but when my girlfriend saw the workman on me she went nuts. lol She seems to love it on me more that I love wearing it. She also got a kick outta the pants around my ankles as Im trying it on. (Some of you may know this if you have ever bought or tried on a UK at a public event.)

Now for the negative. Just before we got to the ticket booth my girlfriend, her daughter and I were walking across a small bridge that crosses a small creek and I managed to find a small drainage hole and roll my ankle and fall face first onto the concrete. Though it didnt hurt at first, the more i walked on it the worse it got untill I could not walk anymore and we ended up leaving early. I could not walk at all that night and ended up having to hobble around on some spare crutches. Oi!

Luckily the next morning it was feeling alot better and I didnt need to use the crutches anymore and today all I notice is tightness and am walking around with a slight limp.

All in all, and considering my cluts of the week award winning fall, it was a great event and we had a great time. I cant wait till next year. (and now I'll be sure to avoid drainage ditches) lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DrDialtone, Woodland is a very good Scotish Gathering, second only to Pleasanton. The Nor-Cal Rabble will have a tent there all weekend adjacent to the MacNaughton clan tent---we call it a clan double-wide. We will have beer, water and soft drinks (left over from overbuying at Burns' Night) and for sure we will gather there at 1pm both days for photos. Some of the Rabble will be in the Heavy Games but hopefully they can join us.

We met at the Kilt Night in Hayward, Madalyn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aengus View Post
    So another great year has passed for the Sonora Celtic Faire. Though it had its good point and bad. The good points, great music, great games, fantastic music and I bought my first kilt!
    I stopped by the UK booth and bought a black Workmans UK. I had a few to choose from but when my girlfriend saw the workman on me she went nuts. lol She seems to love it on me more that I love wearing it. She also got a kick outta the pants around my ankles as Im trying it on. (Some of you may know this if you have ever bought or tried on a UK at a public event.)
    Aengus, you know the rules, if there are no pics it didn't happen.

Congrats on the new UK. The black workman is my "go to" kilt for nights on the town.

Best regards,

Jake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast