X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sporran strap issue.

As a gentleman of substance I have a small issue. When I strap on a sporran. The chain or belt tucks under my belly leaving a horrid look to the front of my kilt. I don't need to show it. For those of us who have looked in the mirror and witnessed this phenomenon know what it looks like.

Some say try sporran hangers.
    I think they look odd. They scream out to me 'look I'm fat and I can't wear a normal sporran strap. I know I know some wear sporran hangers who are not gentlemen on substance and love them. Well this is not for you. This is for the few who have tried it all and are not satisfied.

Here is my solution. I have many designs patented, yet the basic design is a sporran strap hanging from the kilt belt in a position that avoids the belly hang look.
    I wish all craftsmen who wish to make this to do so. Yet all I ask is for it to keep my name.

It has helped me and I hope others love it as well. Let me know what you think. And design changes you would like to see. The kilt community has given me much. This is my contribution.

Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.
    Colossians 4:6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The sporran strap issue.

Is there a buckle for adjustment behind the sporran or do you simply have it made to the length that works for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes there is a adjustable buckle behind the sporran.
    Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.
    Colossians 4:6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the design. I would think this would be nice to wear even by someone who isn't a gentleman of substance. No more worry of stuffing the sporran strap buckle under your belt. Pretty neat. I like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the design. Simple. Looks like a "normal" strap. And easily adjustable. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aspiringloser View Post
    I like the design. I would think this would be nice to wear even by someone who isn't a gentleman of substance. No more worry of stuffing the sporran strap buckle under your belt. Pretty neat. I like it.
    Ditto -- it looks good!!
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it also as one who is now built for comfort and not speed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Weeelll - once I was walking along the row of shops near us and passed a young couple, she was wearing a narrow strip of denim for a skirt and a couple of handkerchieves worth of fabric for a blouse and it was losing the fight to stay closed - I was almost out of earshot when he enquired 'why doesn't your skirt move like that?' Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more worry of stuffing the sporran strap buckle under your belt.
    This is why I like kilt wearing - the innovation and free thinking! I think that this is a good addition to our accessories.

I gave up wearing chains almost at the start and went over to sporran straps. All the advantages of being able to slide the sporran out of the way at a moments notice.

I wear mine slightly differently. The buckle is on my right hip front. So no bulges in the small of my back. Of course, the important things are comfort and ease of use what doesn't work for one will be ideal for another.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many standard kilt belts come with a pair of moveable leather loops meant (I believe) to be positioned to either side of the buckle, although they perform little function there other than cosmetic. If you instead position those loops out over your hips further or even at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions then run your kilt strap/chain through those two loops it will re direct the hang angle of the front section of the strap/chain allowing it to hang more to the front above a GOS's gut rather than under it, kind of half way between a regular strap/chain and sporran hangers. This seems to work particulalry well with chains, not as well with straps which tend to get twisted sideways in the loop where their course changes angle more sharply. Functions similarly to your perforated belt concept but is more adjustable on the fly, and does not require the perforated belt and riveted look, one which does not particularly appeal to me personally, especially in a dressier situation.

But different strokes for different folks, and there are more than one way to skin a ...... well, don't wish to get in trouble with the PETA folks here, so you know what I mean.
    Last edited by ForresterModern; 24th February 12 at 05:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast