X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Andrew's Day Success

Decided to go to work kilted today. Set it up by sending an email to all hands wishing them a Happy St. Andrew's Day and explaining what the day meant.

Wore a wool plaid Red Stewart tartan shirt with my tan UK original (hows that for a combo?) Added cream kilt sox (from USAKilts) and brown wing tips. Did slip on jockey shorts...no point in risking accidental flashing at work.

I'm a licensed professional counselor working for a mental health agency in rural Arizona next to the Navajo reservation.

First reaction was from a nasty lady who's just a bitch...she said "Hi Barbie." I responded, "Hi Ponchita" (she's Mexican)...and she shut up.

A few seconds later our Human Resources Director was showing an auditor around and stopped at my office and said with a big smile, "Have you met our highlander?" Nice to have that support and approval.

Later in the day a member of our agency's board of directors stopped in. He asked most politely if I were in a pipe band or a dancer. Explained just as politely to him that it was St. Andrew's Day and what that meant.

When clients came to group tonight a Navajo client asked why I was wearing a skirt. Again, politely explained about St. Andrew's Day.

Rest of peers and staff and clients and even my supervisor just accepted it. One young therapist asked me where to get them and set him up...so maybe I'll soon have a kilted brother.

A regular client I did individual therapy with never mentioned it. Neither did a new client I did an intake assessment with.

Guessing that wearing kilts about our small town so much off hours has helped build acceptance.

So now I've come to work kilted twice, the first under the guise of Halloween, this time for St. Andrew's Day...maybe next time on casual Friday...and after that, just because I want to.

I think that setting up the cultural heritage part helps a lot. Diversity is all the thing on the job in the U.S. now.

And once again, all my fears were not realized...the worst things I ever experienced never really happened.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome! Keep on wearing them to work, you'll start a trend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! See the article I wrote about how I got to start wearing kilts to work and see if maybe there is anything in there that can help you along.

Though I suspect you won't have a problem wearing kilts to work now. UK's and other non-traditionals on casual fridays, tartans the rest of the week... at least to start.