X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you're going to wear the kilt

Anyone know of a good source for this book? I found it a few places (mostly in UK), and at Scotland Yard, but they wanted $11 USD to ship it (book price was 16)!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish Lion up in New Hampshire just got a supply in and I got one for about $12

Think its www.scottishlion.com or google it.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LangSyne Publishing (www.scottish-memories.co.uk) has it for £5.99 (circa US$11.00) but I have no idea what the shipping charge is. Sorry!

On the other hand, I am wondering if I should be giving you this information! My fear is that, when you have a copy of this book, you might take it seriously!

As I have stated here, and in other places, so many times: the contents of this book are dated, were aimed at influencing the North American market and really should not be looked upon as the kilt-wearer's 'Bible'. To be fair, some of what Thompson says is relevant, but much of it is, by today's standards, misleading. Take it with a pinch of salt!

Take care,
    Ham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Hamish. Its just that I feel starved for information, and I thought this might be a good second book (after The Art of Kiltmaking). I am now curious about sporrans, hose flashes, jackets and other accoutrements.

The other books I am beginning to buy on a regular basis are titles concerning freemasonry (including its scottish connections). I am also reading books on the knights templar and their supposed connection to the Stuarts (Stewarts)...

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thompson...

On the other hand, I am wondering if I should be giving you this information! My fear is that, when you have a copy of this book, you might take it seriously!

As I have stated here, and in other places, so many times: the contents of this book are dated, were aimed at influencing the North American market and really should not be looked upon as the kilt-wearer's 'Bible'. To be fair, some of what Thompson says is relevant, but much of it is, by today's standards, misleading. Take it with a pinch of salt!
    Hamish,

But for the American just getting into kilt-wearing, I still maintain that for all it's faults, and it does have some, that Thompson's book is still one of the best introductions to American audiences out there, especially considering the public libraries over here lack information on the kilt and Scottish attire, and some sources on the Internet are much more unreliable! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont forget to check the X Market
    Beannacht Dé,
    Hank
    "...it's the ocean following in our veins, cause its the salt thats in our tears..."

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still haven't foudn a copy, I've got several in stock here (at the Scottish Tartans Museum) for $12.95. You can order them on line athttp://www.scottishtartans.org by clicking on "Gift Shop" and then scrolling down to the Books, or just give me a call at (828)524-7472 (we are open 10am to 5pm Mon-Sat, EST).
    Aye,
    Matt Newsome

P.S. -- In addition to Thompson's book, I'd also reccomend Bob Martin's All About Your Kilt, which we also have.[/i]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife found a copy of Thompson for me ...

I am eyeing the Torridon and blackwood sgians dubh at the gift shop......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: So you're going to wear the kilt

Quote Originally Posted by beerbecue
    Anyone know of a good source for this book? I found it a few places (mostly in UK), and at Scotland Yard, but they wanted $11 USD to ship it (book price was 16)!!!
    Get it from Matt at the Tartans Museum in NC -- http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/ -- you won't find it any cheaper, and we should all support the museum!

Cheers,

Cyndi