X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mr. Kilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran alternative

I just discovered that a local buddy of mine builds these cool leather pouches for motorcyclists. I thought they might work pretty good as an alternative to a sporran. I think I'll be checking them out a little closer. What do you think?
    Btw...if anyone decides to order one, please tell Sage that "Zipper" recommended you.

http://www.sagebrushdesigns.ca/leather_pouch.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is definately an alternative to the traditional sporran. Are you going to get one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of guys that wear those... expecially at Renn Faires. They're usually not as rigid as those (which are obviously for the biker mentality) but still serve the same purpose. Usually, they're just a soft leather pouch with a simple drawstring.

If you look closely at the Buzz Kidder sporrans, there are wide straps on the back that will allow them to be worn on the belt just like these.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also do a google search for "pommel bags" and find a LOT of diffent styles. I've thought about cutting a pommel bag I have in half to make two sporrans. Sort of a Western look.

Pommel bags are sort of real small saddlebags that are hung from the saddle horn by horseback riders...

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks kinda kool 8)
    "ZIPPER"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like 'em. Not bound to tradition.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mr. Kilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    looks kinda kool 8)
    "ZIPPER"?
    LMAO!!
    I was saddled with that nickname when I first started riding a motorcyle back in 1982. At the time I was 5'9 and weighed a whopping 115 lbs. I attended a meeting of volunteers for a local biker toy run with a buddy of mine. They were looking for someone to dress up as Santa to lead the parade of bikes.
    My buddy, being a smart-alec, suggested that since I was the new guy that I should do it. One of the grizzled old veteran bikers stood up, looked me up and down, and proclaimed that I wasn't big enough to play the zipper on the Santa Claus suit! The name stuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol that's funny.
    I like the use of nicknames, I tend to give them to people,and have had one or two myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys, I picked up one of these "belt pouches" tonight. Here's a couple of pics of it next to my cheap day sporran, as well as one with my cheapie "house" kilt. It's very similar in size, is made of incredibly soft leather, and the conch/fringe button is removable. There are two metal snaps to close the pouch. There are two belt loops on the back that look like they'd accomodate up to a 1 1/2" belt, so a sporran strap will fit just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good Al.

The only thing I would suggest is to try it out as the belt pouch. If you attach it to a belt and move it to the side of the hip a bit. It won't look much like a traditional sporran, but it may give it a cool new look all it's own. A bit of the kilt and biker mix.

Cool looking pouch, and the price is decent. These may work well for the solid colour comtemporary kilts, without adding a traditional sporran to the mix.