X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd, I work in the Academic Technology group at Stanford University Libraries. I support the student computing clusters, help support the computer clusters in the dorms, support a mess of collaborative workspaces around campus, and am the Mac Support Guru for staff in the Stanford University Libraries. My prior job was staff and student support at the Santa Calara University Law School. My degrees are all in Marine Biology...go figure!

Doc, 'fraid not. Not a Mason, though I know a bit about the history of the Masons in the USA, and have a number of ancestors who were Masons.

Jimmy....huh. I never thought about trying a rental agency and getting a used dress kilt. Hmm. Hmm. Good idea.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H
    .................................................. ...........................................
    All of the above list the mill as Merton Mills, so it's all the same stuff. Note that you can get it in a medium weight and a lighter weight. Therefore it would be entirely possible to get a kilt and a matching tie, which would be rather nice.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Alan,

I agree it is really nice to have a tartan tie that matches your kilt but, PLEASE, if you go for both, do not wear them together! Let the kilt take all the glory - matching tartan flashes are about as far as you might go. A plain coloured tie, matching one of the colours in your tartan kilt, is far, far better than a matching tartan one. Believe me.

Conversely, the tartan tie will look really neat and smart with a plain coloured kilt. Just look at other people's photos and you'll see exactly where I am coming from with this one.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Oakleigh tartan, and a response from Clan MacNaughton

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H
    See, now I'm bloody well hooked. Get one kilt and now I need six of them. Arrgh.

ANY-way.... I find that I can afford kilts in poly-viscose but da reel thing in wool is beyond my means. Well, OK, not beyond my means but I just can't bring myself to drop the cash. Cheap, that's me.
    Yer nay cheep lad, yer Froogal

Uncle Ricky

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan,

I checked out the "Oakleigh" tartan on the links you posted. It's the Ramsay Blue tartan. I have no idea why they are calling it Oakleigh, but I'll ask some of my tartan contacts and see what I can find out.

Anyway, it's the Ramsay tartan, and you should be able to find it listed in any tartan register under that name.

Aye,
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome
    Alan,

I checked out the "Oakleigh" tartan on the links you posted. It's the Ramsay Blue tartan. I have no idea why they are calling it Oakleigh, but I'll ask some of my tartan contacts and see what I can find out.

Anyway, it's the Ramsay tartan, and you should be able to find it listed in any tartan register under that name.

Aye,
    Matt
    http://www.bearkilts.com/clantartans.html

Doc Hudson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at Bear's Tartan list, the Oakleigh, Ramsay Blue, and Ramsay New Blue all look the same to me. Also Scottish Crofters (at http://www.scottishcrofters.com/tartans_rste.htm ) show a photo of the same tartan identified as Ramsay, Blue Ancient.

All told, looks like it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Oakleigh appears to be the same as the Ramsay Blue, but with a bit more fade to it. The Ramsay Blue and Ramsay New Blue appear to have a differnt shade of blue.

Doc Hudson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    The Oakleigh appears to be the same as the Ramsay Blue, but with a bit more fade to it. The Ramsay Blue and Ramsay New Blue appear to have a differnt shade of blue.
    Goes to show that different computers, and different eyes see things somewhat differently.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan Ramsay Society...

To further add to the mix, here is a graphic of the Ramsay Blue tartan from the Clan Ramsay Society of North America:

http://www.clanramsay.org/ramsblue.gif

And one more:

http://www.eddieramsay.com/Ramsay%20Blue.jpg

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. Ramsay Blue, huh? I'd noticed that the Ramsay tartan was a dark blue one, but not having the sharp eye of some of you gentlemen, not made the connection. That's odd, using the separate names for the same thing. They're even from the same mill.

Whatever the case, I like the tartan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast