X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver? Denver? Philadelphia?

I've heard Vancouver referred to as "the most kilt-friendly city in the world." Judging from the BC members here, and my personal kilted experience in BC when my cousin graduated from Simon Fraser a few years back, I'd say that's almost accurate. Just wondering what your opinions are as to what geographic areas are or are not kilt-friendly. Please, feel free to include personal experiences! Some may also argue that geographic location doesn't play a role in the acceptance of the kilt. I'd love to hear what you have to say, too! Thanks for indulging my curiousity here, guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Sav, since you included three of my favorite towns, I will have to tell you that I have only been kilted in one.

No matter where you go jerks are going to be around. OK the bad and ugly are over with. I find being kilted a great experience while going about my daily tasks in Denver, nary a negative comment and that is usually from some drunk somewhere. Yes I get stares, but I also got stares BK (before kilt). I smile when kilted, probably because I am so happy being kilted, that everyone seems to at least smile back.

I have traveled throughout Colorado and New Mexico extensively while kilted and again no major comments in the negative. I have flown to Michigan for the wedding of my nephew (it was a quick trip for me) and because he was having a kilted wedding no comments were made against the kilt.

When parties come around people request certain kilts for me to wear, and of course I oblige. So I guess that I am saying is that Denver is a very kilt friendly town and area.

I would not have any problem being kilted in the other towns you have mentioned, because I know I have friends their to show me the best place for a brew (tea or otherwise), or anyplace for that matter. Also being a large guy (no giant) at 6'2" and a fairly solid 195-200 pounds helps, but I think the biggest factor is the smile and attitude of kilt wearing.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just echo Gman's comments. Denver is a pretty kilt-friendly spot in my experience, but I think anywhere can be if you have the right attitude.

If you walk about with a confidence and swagger (not arrogant, just enough to get the kilt to swing), folk will pick up on that. You will get looks, look right back at em, and smile. You'll be surprised at how many reactions are positive.

Heading up to Canada for business is a couple weeks. While I can't take my kilt on customer site, I will bring one along for after hours.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of Southern California is pretty accepting of kilts, but then SoCal accepts pretty much anything.

I've not really gone anywhere outside of California with it yet other than Arizona, and I didnt have any problems there either.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Louis...

Saint Louis, Missouri is turning out to be a very kilt-friendly area, INMHO. There are large Irish-American and Scottish-American populations there, many Irish pubs (and now one Scottish Pub, the Scottish Arms!), not to mention the St. Louis Scottish Games and the Missouri Tartan Day celebrations in neaby St. Charles, and two pipe bands, Invera'an and the John Ford Pipes and Drums, which are very "high profile".

I've worn my kilt on many occasions at various venues in St. Louis, and never had any problems.

Cheers,

Todd
    Last edited by macwilkin; 14th November 05 at 06:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philly isn't bad. We have our fair share of idiots but that's to be expected. Northern Virginia (Alexandria/Arlington, etc) is very kilt friendly. In fact, it's not uncommon to see someone about wearing a kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reception in Chicago has been surprisingly great! You would think that the "tough" image would not handle such a garment, but the Irish and Scottish numbers are HUGE!

Boston, atleast the North side, has been wonderful. Those Irish pubs are a haven for the look. A kilt's as good as a free pint!

New York City has still got to be my personal favorite. Considering that people walk the streets wrapped in aluminum foil for protection from alien rays and nuclear radiation, the kilt is pretty tame. You almost never get a look when you're in a kilt. I love that city!

As for Philadelphia... it depends where you are. In the northeast, you're one of the boys. On South Street you're just an eccentric (along with 99% of the other people). In the suburbs... well... it's like anywhere else. If you're in one of the many Irish pubs, you're probably known anyway.

My goal is to one day have a gathering at the Kansas City Irish Festival. I've been the only one at the event in a kilt for the last three years, and the people all think I'm a piper. Wouldn't it be grand to have an entire contingent there to enlighten them to the kilts? The bars in Westport were a BLAST to hit with the kilt! Like Boston... a kilt's as good as a free pint!
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KC Irish Fest...

My goal is to one day have a gathering at the Kansas City Irish Festival. I've been the only one at the event in a kilt for the last three years, and the people all think I'm a piper. Wouldn't it be grand to have an entire contingent there to enlighten them to the kilts? The bars in Westport were a BLAST to hit with the kilt! Like Boston... a kilt's as good as a free pint!
    Jimmy: you let me know when you're coming to the Irish Fest in KC, awright? ;)

Never worn the kilt in KC; wore it on Massachusetts Street in Lawrence, Kansas (anyone else remember "The Day After"?) back in 1996 to the Free State Brewing Company, the bar in the Jayhawker Hotel, etc., but little to no reaction -- Lawrence is a college town, after all! Rock Chalk Jayhawk! KU! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carbomb
    The reception in Chicago has been surprisingly great! You would think that the "tough" image would not handle such a garment, but the Irish and Scottish numbers are HUGE!...
    Jimmy,

Are you in chicago now? If so, let's hook up, and I will echo that I have not had any problems being kilted here.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Bob C is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    The beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    Saint Louis, Missouri is turning out to be a very kilt-friendly area, INMHO. There are large Irish-American and Scottish-American populations there, many Irish pubs (and now one Scottish Pub, the Scottish Arms!), not to mention the St. Louis Scottish Games and the Missouri Tartan Day celebrations in neaby St. Charles, and two pipe bands, Invera'an and the John Ford Pipes and Drums, which are very "high profile".

I've worn my kilt on many occasions at various venues in St. Louis, and never had any problems.

Cheers,

Todd
    I'll be spending about a week in St. Charles/St. Louis next June. I would have worn my kilt at a formal banquet that week, anyway. I'll make a point of wearing it while "oot and aboot" at least one day, as well.
    Virtus Ad Aethera Tendit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast