X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apron question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewddha
    I was wondering if anyone has anything to say about Steves Polyester-Cotton kilts and pilling?
    I can't speak for the exact material that Freedom Kilts uses but...

Cotton/Poly in itself will not usually "ball-up" unless it's subjected to harsh washings and hot temperature dryings. If you can cold water wash it and hang-dry... it will do just fine. SportKilts uses a lot of this stuff, but uses a very tin grade. If you can get it in 12.4 ounce (which is readily available) it will do okay. I have two.

Cotton/Twill will take a beating. If you can find it in a 12-14 ounce material, it will serve you VERY well. Wash it like the Cotton/Poly and it will last a long time. The maintenance is a breeze, the weight is substantial, and it's a GREAT alternative for those allergic to wool. It also holds its form much better than a load of other materials. The cost for tartans is very reasonable too. I have five.

Cotton/Duck will survive a hurricane. Unfortunately, it's about as soft to the skin as a Makita orbital sander... unless you can soften it up REAL well. Just make sure not to compromise the integrity of the weave or you'll be left with a potential "swiss cheese kilt". I have two.

For examples, you can head over to The Scottish Weaver's site.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys

Just another thought about sporran chains and stuff. We've discovered over the years in our band that a sporran with a chain is a lot rougher on a kilt than one with a leather strap is. If you wear your kilt a lot, the chain actually wears the fabric out. So, we switched to sporran straps awhile ago, and it's made a huge difference.

Barb

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have two Freedom Kilts, desert camo and CADPAT...neither has pilled yet, and don't expect them too.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T.
    Hi guys

Just another thought about sporran chains and stuff. We've discovered over the years in our band that a sporran with a chain is a lot rougher on a kilt than one with a leather strap is. If you wear your kilt a lot, the chain actually wears the fabric out. So, we switched to sporran straps awhile ago, and it's made a huge difference.

Barb
    Barb,

I have been stressing the important advantages of sporran straps over chains for years, but will people listen.......? Well, OK some of our brethren here have taken straps on board and I know their kilts will last years longer as a result. I have seen really terrible damage done to kilts by the wearing of chain-straps, even to the point where the top apron has had to be entirely replaced - at huge expense.

Not so many years ago, chains were worn only on Dress Sporrans which, by their nature, got far less use. Now, it seems almost impossible to buy a day sporran that does not come with a chain-strap.

What is this world coming to? ( )
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hamish

I know what you mean! I bought a nice day sporran for my daughter's boyfriend, and I couldn't get them to swap the chain for a strap. Wound up having to buy a strap and chuck the chain.

Cheers!

B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T.
    Hi Hamish

I know what you mean! I bought a nice day sporran for my daughter's boyfriend, and I couldn't get them to swap the chain for a strap. Wound up having to buy a strap and chuck the chain.

Cheers!

B
    Been there, done that. I think it also looks better than the chain 8)
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, Ham.
    Kilted since Aug 2004, only, but have recently noticed the early signs of damage.
    Must go shopping. Soon.

Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only worn my chain twice.

Kiltbear is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acrylic

You just cant beat these unnatural fabrics can ya?
    Oh the pleasure I'm missing from shaving my kilt every time i wear it. What do you folks favour?
    Electric or a wet shave? Does electric bring your unnatural fabrics out in a rash?

heheheheheheh....I'm such a bitch

Kiltbear is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acrylic

You just cant beat these unnatural fabrics can ya?
    Oh the pleasure I'm missing from shaving my kilt every time i wear it. What do you folks favour?
    Electric or a wet shave? Does electric bring your unnatural fabrics out in a rash?

heheheheheheh....I'm such a bitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast