X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irish County Tartans

I really like some of the Irish County tartans I saw at midwinter fest. Kelly in particular had a County Donnegal (sp?) long kilted skirt that I loved!
    I would pick it out and wear it just because of the way it looks, but out of curiousity, does anyone know if there are some sort of lists somewhere that tells what families came from what counties and that sort of thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Irish County tartans came into existance pretty late in the game, relatively speaking. I'm thinking mid 1800's. M.A.C. Newsome and others can set you right on that. Since that's the case, there's little connection between old Irish clans/families and the county tartans.

That said, a lot of them are lovely. County Cork happens to be my favorite, but I like several of them and I think a kilt skirt in one of your favorites would be a very nice thing.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irish tartans...

Mrs. H.,

The Clan Doyle web site in Australia has a nice listing of Irish family tartans:

http://www.doyle.com.au/tartan_irish.htm

Of the Irish tartans, the oldest, according to what I have read are:

The Ulster Tartan
    The Tara (Murphy) Tartan

The Ulster was found in a peat-bog in the 1950's, and dates from the 1600's, whilst the Tartan Tartan was first listed in the "Clans Originaux" collection in Paris in the 1880's.

There is also the Oriel, the Connaught, and the Clodagh tartan for historic areas in the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. Most of the Irish county tartans were designed in 1996 by the House of Edgar, but that shouldn't take away from their appeal.

I like the Mayo, Cork, Donnegal and Ulster myself.

Nice to meet you by the way! :mrgreen:

Slainte,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Co Fermanagh comes from the House of Edgar, and I also want to get the Ulster that Todd was talking about - a gorgeous tartan!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the resources! Now the only question is, when will I be able to start my kilted skirt collection!

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the Irish tartans are very old. The Ulster tartan, for instance, dates to c. 1600, but please note it was not used as a named tartan until the mid-twentieth century.

But the Irish County tartans that you are asking about were all designed by Polly Wittering of The House of Edgar around 1996.

I think, for the most part, they are quite beautiful in appearance (there are one or two I don't like, but for the most part, I love the colors).

You can see them all here:
    http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/Irish.htm

Or here (click on "Find a Tartan" and then "Ireland":
    http://www.district-tartans.com/

Is there a name list anywhere? Yes. The House of Edgar has a name list available of most all common Irish surnames and what county or counties that name came from. I have it and use it in our gift shop at work (so I can check a name for you on Monday, if you like). Also, I use The Surnames of Ireland by William MacLysaught as a standard reference on the origins of Irish names. Again, I have that volume at work, so I would be glad to check a name for you on Monday.

Aye,
    Matt

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the moment here in Scotland lots of ladies are wearing longer length Tartan Skirts, some more traditional are pleated at the rear like a "gents kilt" and some are simply long and no pleats, they do look really smart, some of the more popular Tartans are (of course) Royal stuart, dress stuart and Ive spotted one in my own familys Cameron Tartan, I always think that ladies look sensational in Tartan yet here we drum it in to people that kilts are for men, whereas of course with a few slight variations ladies look just as good in a kilted skirt,
    Slainthe'
    Daz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A kilted skirt is a different garment than a kilt. Construction is different as well as the weight of the fabric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome
    [I use The Surnames of Ireland by William MacLysaught as a standard reference on the origins of Irish names.
    Matt, I don't think I told you yet, but your post reminded me -- I've been commissioned by the chief of (Mac)Lysaght, Thomas Lysaght (or Tomás Mac Giolla Iasachta), to design a (Mac)Lysaght tartan. I'm thrilled -- I consider it a great honour -- this is the clan of the great High King of Ireland, Brian Bóruma mac Cennétig (Brian Boru), and a very ancient family. I'm basing the design on the armorial bearings of The Lysaght and the province of Munster. I'll send you a piece of the tartan after I get it woven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyndi,

CONGRATULATIONS on that commission. You will indeed do it justice!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast