X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You, XMarks

Three months ago I showed up at XMarks thinking maybe I'd buy a kilt, and looking for information. I thought maybe I'd buy a kilt because I'd seen some affordable kilts at some Celtic faires and music festivals and I liked the look. I almost bought a Utilikilt off the rack at one of them, but balked at the price.

Since I've become something of a regular here at X Marks I've learned a lot about kilts. Now I wear one to work one day a week, and have two more on order! But more than that, X Marks was the starting-off point for learning about my family history, which takes me back to the Ulster Scots. Because of that I understand much more to do with Ireland and the strife there between Protestant and Catholic that goes back 400 years. I understand more about the history of the countries from whence came my ancestors on my mothers side.

Because of X Marks I took out a two week freebie account at Ancestry.com and then Geneology.com and I'm in touch with Halls and McKnights that are my relatives. Because of X Marks I've watched some great movies (Rob Roy and Her Majesty, Mrs. Brown). Because of X Marks I've learned a MESS of European/English/Scottish/Irish history that I didn't know before.

I've come to appreciate the craftsmanship, care, skill and love that goes into making a fantastic piece of clothing.

This is totally silly, but it's true... Because of X Marks I don't mind taking a little time now and again when I get dressed in the morning to make sure I look sharp. It's more than just putting on clothes for the occasion, you know? I wear tuxedos all the time...I'm a musician. Big Whoop. I just *put it on* do the job and *took it off*. It ain't that way with kilts.

When I wear a kilt I find myslef standing a little bit straighter, looking people in the eye a little bit more clearly and directly. Because of X Marks I've done something a little bit "different" and find myself standing a little bit taller, being a little bit more confident in myself, than before. Who knows why it all worked out that way, but I like it.

Ladies and Gentlemen at XMarks...... Thank You.

OK, carry on, now! [/i]

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear Alan, I guess I could say much the same things, as many of us here would.

This forum inspired me to buy kilts (#9 just ordered), wear kilts all the time and give up trousers almost entirely, it has changed my life completely.

So I can really relate to your comments.
    It's a big thanks to Hank also for providing this forum so that this can all happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan I too want to say that this place has transformed my life, what a community!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a REAL nice thing to say Alan. I don't think that Hank had ANY idea that this site would have such an effect. Who really could have?

Having a site that could help to promote kilts is a pretty risky venture. Who knew there was such a large community out here?

We can say what we want about the way the threads are monitored, but the outcome is a community that's both informative AND supportive. How can you argue with that?

I know that the "know your tartan" mantra is a good one to live with... but "know your family" can go a WHOLE lot longer for you!
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking that a XMarks Tshirt in "Saltire" blue with "Know thy tartan..." in white script across the back would be pretty cool...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know X Marks changed my lifestyle some too. I used to throw on jeans, boots and either a T-shirt or flannel shirt and call it good enough. I never really paid much attention to how I dressed til I started hanging out here. My wife is pleased with the change and I'm much more comfortable. Today my eldest son borrowed one of my kilts to wear to a party on Saturday. I guess it's contagious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'tis truely an addiction Alan, but a joyful one.

Was about a year ago I saw my first Utilikilt...now I own ten of them and 23 total kilts and trying to scrape up the pennies for a Cameron Black and Red Traditional from Kathy's Kilts...not sure what happened, but I'm loving it too.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Great to hear Alan, I guess I could say much the same things, as many of us here would.

This forum inspired me to buy kilts (#9 just ordered), wear kilts all the time and give up trousers almost entirely, it has changed my life completely.

So I can really relate to your comments.
    It's a big thanks to Hank also for providing this forum so that this can all happen.
    Same here Graham, not to mention all the wonderful people who populate this tiny corner of cyberspace.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Alan!
    This site has become a gold mine of info for newbies and old timers alike.
    I can't say I found this site and was drawn to become kilted by it because I was kilted and posting at Toms Café and The Bravehearts Forum for a while before Hank started up XMarks.
    I still visit Tom's and Bravehearts daily. Tom and WDP are the two guys that had popular forums for kilted men when it was just an idea trying to get popular. They forged the path we now walk upon.
    I know a lot of you think poorly of Toms Café but did you know that it was Tom that convinced me to become a kiltmaker? Did you know that Tom was influential in Hamish wearing his kilts full time?
    And WDP had no less effect on me. I still get a ton of referrals from the Bravehearts Forum.
    I was pretty sure that an all kilts forum was going to be big. That's why I was the fourth person to sign up.
    I was right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear, I don't think poorly of Tom's, the tone there just isn't for me. I do read, and occasionally post on Bravehearts, but X Marks is home. Each board has its own tone and flavor and it's a matter of preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast