X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Barb's posse

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure - just keep track of those suggestions!

Barb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, now a question on tailoring and splitting the apron/pleats for we that have a bit o'tummy...

I don't know if you can tell from the gallery picture, but my hunting stewart, and now my gordon, don't exactly hang straight down from the waist (they seem to tend to go in). I am sure this is due to my little bit of 39-yr-old paunch.

I don't know if its because these two kilts are made from 11 oz. poly/wool as opposed to wool, or because of the tailoring?

Anyway, to correct this, what should I do to my apron/pleat split? Increase the apron at both the waist and hips, or just the hips?? What would be the best way to approach this?

Here are my splits: w=38.5, h=41

Hunting Stewart: Waist - apron:20, pleats 18.5; hips - apron:20, pleats:21

Gordon: waist - apron:20.5, pleats 18; hips - apron:20.5, pleats:20.5

I just started pleating a new one, so could redo the apron before I get too far.

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BBQ

I looked at your pictures, and your Hunting Stewart kilt looks pretty good on you. If you want to experiment with having it hang straighter, the only way to do this is to actually add to the hip measurement of the kilt. Changing the splits won't alter the fact that it pulls in a bit under your tummy because the kilt is a little smaller around at the hips than it would have to be to hang straight from the waist. I haven't ever tried this, but you could add a half inch or so to the apron only at the hips (maybe even an inch) without changing the pleats at all. That should allow the front to have enough width to hang straighter from your waist. If you do this, though, you should put only 1 buckle on the apron side, otherwise, you'll be trying to pull it tight with the hip buckle. If you try this, let me know how it works out!

Barb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

I'm putting buckles on the gordon tonight and doing the lining, I'll take photos.....

Update:
    Well, I need to move the straps/buckles for the apron, and then put the lining in... It was just a little too tight with no slack either way with the test fitting...

The material seems rather thin compared to the H. Stewart as well, so I think I may try to line the entire apron to see how that helps with heft/hang.... at least broadcloth is cheap.....

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910