X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for kiltmaker...

Hello,

We're looking for a kiltmaker to produce/weave a small sample of a new tartan that we'd like to have registered; we'd need material 3-4 yards in length, and 26"-27" in width (possibly less, but that's contigent on the kiltmaker's minimum custom weave sample).

Our tartan design is complete, with color and thread count readily available: Five (5) color total, at eleven (11) thread count[s]. We have three images (.jpegs) of our tartan that can be emailed to the kiltmaker for his or her viewing prior to weaving the sample. Naturally, if the samples are well-made and woven correctly in color and count, we'd happily do business in the future with the kiltmaker.

I'd appreciate someone pointing us in the right direction. I'm aware that there are registries and businesses who will do such work but honestly, most of the pricing is a bit high...So, we're looking for someone who's more in tune with the love of kiltmaking rather than making a fast buck; in other words, we'd rather shop at "Kevin's Kilts & Celtic Crafts"* than "Saltiricon's Super-mega-multi-Tartan Emporium"*.

Thank you.

*Fictonal, I hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I thought there'd be at least one or two suggestions by now...Did I post in the wrong forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope... We have numerous experienced people on the board. But as this is a diverse and, quit literally, a global community, not everyone works in the same time zone. Good luck with your project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blu,

Thanks for the info...a little patience on my part, eh?

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MacSimion,

I am a kilt maker and work with a mill in Scotland that can weave a minimum run of 4 yards of cloth, 28" wide.

I make traditional, 4-yard box pleated kilts, as were worn from the 1790s up through the nineteenth century.

You can get more information on my web site:
    http://kilts.albanach.org/

Even if you do not fancy the particular style of kilt I make, I'd still be glad to just suuply the cloth for you.

You can get most of the information you'll need as far as cost and usual turn-around time from my web site, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Aye,
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt,

Thank you for the information on your products/services. I'm happy to hear that you're able to weave this size sample---most other places I've contacted have a higher minimum.

The design is a simple mirrored sett with 5 colors. I did have a bit of trouble with one of the colors, whereas there isn't enough yellow and red in the color itself (there's too much blue in the color and I couldn't quite get it to show properly due to the limitations of the software I've been using).

Please let me know if this is acceptable for you and if you have further suggestions or additional input---I can email the design to you if you'd like to take a look and provide some feedback.

Thanks you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt,

I used a different software program (Textile32) and was finally able to get the colors right by using the 'ancient' color scheme (olive green, light brown, green, dark red, dark green). I have 5 .jpegs available for you to look at, so please let me know how to proceed from here. Thank you.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to email the pictures to me, my email address is macnewsome@gmail.com. I'll take a look and get back in touch.
    Aye,
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt,

Thank you. The pics are on the way.