X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Double Take :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double Take :)

Well, back from the Grand Canyon and a pleasant trip was had despite the night time temps of 19 deg. F.

One story I have to relay though. On my first night there we'd set up camp and I was getting ready to go to bed. I hauled myself off to the bathrooms (nice and warm since they were kept at 75) and I happened to be wearing my Survival UK. With my getting-long-now hair in a pony tail I was at the sink brushing my teeth - back to the door way. As I was brushing the door opened and I looked up into the mirror briefly to notice a gentleman who upon opening the door, looked in, paused, then took a step back, check the sign on the door. Paused again and then, assurred of his location, scurried into one of the bathroom stalls.

I had to laugh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!

Hey Galant, I'm headed down to Havasupai in less than a month. Taking my UK survival, found a couple light weight canteens to fit in the pockets in addition to the Camelback rig in my backpack.

How'd the Survival work for you...particularly...any chaffing of the fire helmet etc.?

Have stocked up on Bodyglide, but just haven't done the 8 miles in a kilt yet.

Hoping my basil survival makes it in time to have two - a clean one to hike out in, but will just have to see how that goes.

Know how that long hair deal goes...can remember doubletaking at long haire'd men seen from the back at men's gatherings where there weren't supposed to be any women...objectifying bodyparts extends to hair too.

On the way home was stopped at PetsMart down in Flagstaff so my lady could shop for her critters. I went to pee and didn't realize the men's room was not where the rest room sign was (silly me)... a lady clerk very very very politely redirected me...maybe she thought I thought the sign was for kilted guys....

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worked out well. The only chaffing came around the very top of the inside of my left leg.

I actually made it up to Page also! Took a float trip with Wilderness River Adventures on the 19th. Didn't wear my kilt on the boat though. Didn't want it drenchec.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was also a time a few weeks ago when I was taking the dogs for a walk whilst wearing my Ancient Fraser. My hair was down.

As I passed a field where a group of young boys were being coached in football I heard some not so quiet whispers:

Is that a guy or a girl?

That's a guy you idiot.

No, I think it's a girl.

etc.

And then, one of them called out - Are you a guy or a girl?

I just turned my head and one of his peers promptly shut him up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, I love that canyon, was just down it again on the float trip last week. Did you get to see the golden eagles?

Think that's my tenth trip down Glen Canyon...have worn kilts the last 8 trips. Only time I got one wet was when I waded out too far at the pee stop beach where the petroglyphs are....but hey, maybe it was raining when you went down..

And...of course there's less "misidentification" if the kilted one is bearded like this elderly dude.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great story Galant

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron, how true. A beard helps out big time. About 10 years ago, sometimes I'd be ma'amed even when I had short hair and was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Granted, I'm not skinny, but, it should be kinda obvious that I am a guy. When I am in jeans, every once in a while I do get a double take, especially now that my hair is getting long enough for a 'tail again. But, it seems like when I'm kilted, nobody double takes, except for women who like the kilt.
    -J