X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will you order an X Marks kilt?

OK, regarding the X Marks tartan kilts.... before I proceed any further I need to know if we're anywhere close to getting a minimum order together. Minimum orders for wool from both suppliers we're talking to is 20 meters. They weave double-width.

Minimum order for poly-viscose from the supplier that makes that is apparently 20 meters, but I have to confirm that. The poly-viscose is also double width.

"Double Width" means it's twice as wide as what you need to make a kilt, right? So that means if you want a "four yard kilt" you will need two yards of the material. It gets cut in half, see?

Yes, I know that "four yard kilts" can have anywhere from 3.5 to 6 yards of material in them. I know that "8 yard kilts" can have anywhere from 7 - 9 yards of material in them. I know, I know! I also know that a meter is not a yard, OK? This is AN ESTIMATE....are we anywhere even close to the minimum orders? If we are, I will proceed. If we're not, then we need to re-evaluate.

For example, what if twenty people tell me that they want four-yard kilts in poly-viscose, but only two people sign on for wool kilts of any type? Well, then while I *hate* to leave out wool kilts in this project, the reality would be that it wouldn't make sense for us to try and order wool tartan, because we're nowhere even close to the minimum order. That doesn't mean that those people wouldn't get a custom weave done and get the kilt of their dreams made up by the kiltmaker of their choice. MAC Newsome has already made that option available.

OK so this is what I need. If you're here: ...."gosh, I'll think about it, I just don't know. I have to see the **insert reason here* before I decide." then please don't respond here. Hard experience has taught me that 90% of the people in that sort of situation won't ever find the money to come though. It' snot your "fault" and I'm not angry, I just have to be realistic, here. If you're here: "It's a great idea but I need to save up for my clan tank kilt"...that's cool, but please don't respond. I need to know who is REALLY SERIOUS about purchasing X Marks kilt material.

Remember this is for purchasing THE MATERIAL, not the finished kilt. Got that? This is for ***JUST THE MATERIAL**. The prices I'm writing down are AN ESTIMATE. They could be higher, they could be lower. Comprende? They're an estimate.

OK, so tell me the following:

1. How much yardage/meterage you will buy
    2. whether you want 14-16 ounce wool or 11 ounce poly-viscose
    3. Your price limit for the material
    4. If wool is not available, will you buy PV? If PV is not availalbe, will you buy wool?

See my next post for an example.

OK, I ESTIMATE that the cost, to you, of 16 ounce wool will be between $45-$55 USA dollars per meter. This is an estimate, it is not a firm price.

I ESTIMATE that the cost, to you, of poly-viscose will be between $20-$25 per meter. This is an estimate, it is not a firm price.

Thanks, lads and lasses....

Alan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I will commit to buying 2.33 (two and one third) meters of 16 ounce wool cloth.

2. I want the 16 ounce wool

3. I will buy wool up to a price of $55 a meter.

4. If wool is not available or the price is higher than $55 a meter I will commit to buying 2.33 (two and one third) meters of poly-viscose instead, as long as the price is below $25 a meter..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three meters of the 16 ounce wool with a MAXIMUM cost of $50. I can get it elsewhere (as a favor).

Only the 16 ounce.

No PV, thank you.

Edited since this is elsewhere now.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I reviewed the main X Marks tartan material thread (not the poll) and I cme up with the following. If your name is here, please confirm!

Inaki..wants an 8 yard in either PV or wool..so 4 meters

Kilted Bishop wants four meters of wool for an 8 yard wool kilt

Wizard of BC wants 4 yards of wool for an 8 yard wool kilt

Hamish is jonesin' for an 8 yard wool kilt in 16 ounce, so 4 meters of fabric for him.

Magnus Sporrano wants a four-yarder in PV, so 2-3 yards of PV for him.

Bikercelt wants a 4 yard kilt in either PV or wool, so 2 yards of whichever for him.

If all of the above confirm that they'll commit to the $$ to buy the material in wool (for those that would purchase either), including Jimmy and me, we've already got a minimum order for 23 meters of 16 ounce wool lined up. We just need to confirm it, make sure that the kiltmakers agree on the quality, and we can start collecting MONEY.

I notice that only one person so far has in theory "committed" to a PV purchase, and that's Magnus Sporrano.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like a 4 yrd wool casual kilt, but I can't totally comit to purchase until I can see a firm price. I just ordered a traditional from Rocky, so I have to check to see how much an XMARKS will deplete my kilt budget. If I can stay under $300, I think it will be okay.
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerMc
    I'd like a 4 yrd wool casual kilt, but I can't totally comit to purchase until I can see a firm price. I just ordered a traditional from Rocky, so I have to check to see how much an XMARKS will deplete my kilt budget. If I can stay under $300, I think it will be okay.
    I can't tell you how much your kilt will cost. Will you sew it yourself? Will you take it to a custom kiltmaker in Scotland? Will you send it to Bear or Rocky or Barb or Steve or M.A.C. Newsome? Each of them have different prices.

This is for the material, only. I'll say this. If the price climbs to $65 a meter, I quit, so the question is moot.

Doc Hudson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I won't even be able to buy enough for a tie.

Our Freezer died and then the door of my truck broke. Between the two of them there goes over a year of savings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will commit to buying 2 metres of 16-oz. (or 13-oz., if that ends up being the popular choice) worsted wool twill tartan. I do NOT want wool that is not worsted, nor a wool blend, nor a weave other than twill.

I do NOT want PV.

I will pay up to $55 per metre for it. I understand that price includes shipping from the UK and Customs duty, as well as the material itself, and that it does not include local taxes (if any) or the cost of shipping it to my house or my kiltmaker.

(I could get it for myself at a purely wholesale price from a Scottish mill, but I want to support the project.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we end up going for wool, Ill buy 2 meters. If we go for the PV, Ill go for the 8-yard kilt and buy four meters. Sorry to change like that but an economic emergency showed up at my door and Im kinda short on green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries, Iņaki, I know how that stuff goes.

Doc, that stinks. Been there, though it's been a few years. Gaaaah, good luck.

Cyndi, EXCELLENT! That's great.

Between Alan H. Iņaki, Cyndi, and Jimmy Carbomb, we are halfway to a minimum order of wool fabric!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast