X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Researching my Family tartan

Hi!

I've been wearing kilts and utilikilts for a bit now, my tartan kilts being mostly Black Watch, several of the Hunting Tartans, and so forth. Mostly 'Universal' tartans.

Now, however, I'm looking for my family clan Tartan, or at least the Tartan of the clan my family was associated with.

From the beginning: I'm descended from the Croftons on my mothers side. The Croftons are a anglo-irish-scottish family (isn't that funny? We got sent all over hell's half-acre in "service to King(Queen) and Country", and set up families all over britain). The Irish and English branches of the family, besides participating in several of the more successful battles of the Hundred Years war (and getting honors for it), were renowned as administrators and such, often recieving top commissions or postings directly from the reigning monarch.

However, the branch of the family that lives (and still lives, to some extent), in Scotland, had a large amount of men in the various Highland Regiments (most of them as officers of some sort).

I'm guessing my family wore whatever tartan was popular with the royalty of the time, but I'd like to know for sure; it would be very interesting to find out, I think.

Does anyone know of any research tools or texts I can use to aid in my search?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in some search tools as well. On-line searches aren't finding any tartan that is specific to the Calderwood name. (Not my name, but there is a connection, a "big brother" kind of thing.) The closest I can seem to find is "Maxwells of Calderwood".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iolaus
    I'm interested in some search tools as well. On-line searches aren't finding any tartan that is specific to the Calderwood name. (Not my name, but there is a connection, a "big brother" kind of thing.) The closest I can seem to find is "Maxwells of Calderwood".

Same here. My earliest recorded ancestor is "Richard de Crofton", or in modern terms "Richard of Crofton", circa the 11th century.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tartan suggestion...

In one of my sources, the tartan associated with the surname Crofton is the Clodagh tartan, an Irish district tartan. Another possibility would be to identify the area in Ireland and Scotland where your ancestors live, and wear the tartan of that district/tartan. A third possibility would be if you know which regiment an ancestor served in, to wear the tartan associated with that regiment in honour of your relative.

Calderwood is associated with the Strathcylde district in one of my sources, so that district tartan would be appropriate, and if the name is associated with the Maxwells, a border family, you could always wear it, although keep in mind that the Maxwells who were border reivers would have not worn a kilt historically, although many Lowland & Border families have now adopted tartans & kilts to show their Scottish heritage. A good friend of mine is a Maxwell, and the tartan is quite nice!

Hope this helps! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: tartan suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    In one of my sources, the tartan associated with the surname Crofton is the Clodagh tartan, an Irish district tartan. Another possibility would be to identify the area in Ireland and Scotland where your ancestors live, and wear the tartan of that district/tartan. A third possibility would be if you know which regiment an ancestor served in, to wear the tartan associated with that regiment in honour of your relative.

:mrgreen:

Cheers,

Todd

YES! I'd come across this before but had no way to verify it. What is your source pleasepleaseplease?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Roscommoner,

You have come to the right place for all sorts of information on getting to find out your family history and tartans. You will definetly find some information here and from many people. Many history buffs and people who make their living (including Todd) post here. You will be given great information.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.