Ignoring pleating to the sett etc, and purely thinking about the number of pleats:-

For a really super smart kilt the full pleating is desirable. However for day to day use I usually wear either the hillwalker with it's limited number of deep pleats or the 'gentleman's' with it's four very deep pleats.

Obviously in both cases the swing is different, but they are comfortable to wear-and feel and look like a kilt to any but the most overly critical eye.

I have by the way worn both the above variants to highland/clan events where they have been admired-and that is by people who take their kilt wearing seriously, and where to wear a tartan just because one liked the colours would be a serious no no, as would a kilt that covered the knees.

So I would suggest that the number of pleats is less important than things like length, and such accoutrements as the skean dhu--in fact whilst having the 'gentleman's' kilt admired-I've had strife for leaving off the skean dhu.

So reverting to the original question, I'd suggest that the choice can be left to you as to the number and depth of pleats.

James