X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Time at The Potomac Celtic Festival

Just spent two days at the Potomac Celtic Festival in Leesburg Va. The wife and I had a great time. On Saturday, I wore my new modern Gordon USA kilt. Had several comments on its nice appearance, even on my "middle age spread" type of body. We saw quite a few really good Celtic music groups, among them:
    The Battlefield Band
    Trasna
    Iona
    Tinsmith
    and of course all of the excellent pipers and pipe bands.
    One interesting occurance. Trasna was playing when a pipe band marched by. The pipes nearly drowned out the amplified music which Trasna was playing at the time. When they were finished the young lady who played the fiddle and was lead singer made the comment about it being unfair being drowned out by the "pipes"
    All in all, a great trip. The one disappointment, I stopped by the Macleod tent, on Saturday, looking for "David in Maryland", and the two participants there didn't know of anyone from Maryland who was going to be there.
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, great bands, wish I had been there, glad to hear you had fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really do not know what I like about the games. Either the games themselves, the piping and drumming competition, the entertainment bands or the festivities themselves. They all mean a good time, and Jerry it sounds as if you really had a good time.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan
    I really do not know what I like about the games. Either the games themselves, the piping and drumming competition, the entertainment bands or the festivities themselves. They all mean a good time, and Jerry it sounds as if you really had a good time.
    Glen. I really did enjoy myself. The only problem for my wife and myself was the high temperatures and high humidity. Both of us have health problems and that combination hits us very hard. But we drank lots of water. Myself interspacing it with a few Guinesses and Harps.(Only one of each per day). Even with the hydration, we were exhausted at the end of the first day. The next day we employed a different Strategy. We went to the main tent stage and waited for the bands and performers we wished to see to rotate to our location. That worked out much better. There were serveral who didn't make out as well as we did, though. Several people were transported to local emergency rooms, suffering from heat exhaustion.
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

North Carolina is home, Maryland is just a place I live
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey JerMC. I decided not to go to the Festival. I had other plans that came up. I was actually supposed to run the MacLeod tent, but the regular VA commissioners were able to make it.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David in Maryland
    Hey JerMC. I decided not to go to the Festival. I had other plans that came up. I was actually supposed to run the MacLeod tent, but the regular VA commissioners were able to make it.

David
    Okay, David, sorry you couldn't be there. I was looking forward to meeting someone from Xmarks.
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.