X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't be able to make the concert series this year. Hope to next. July is just too full and I'm job hunting now. Will be at the faire though since we've had the season passes since November. On Saturday, we were able to arrange to have my brother-in-law brought up on stage during one of their shows where they sang to him for his birthday. It helps when you have a son on the semi-pro cast to get the word to them. He was kilted and had to fend them off too. Got some great pictures of that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome responses to an awesome weekend! Well done.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently, I wore a kilt to a local charity fund-raiser. The team members took turns walking the course.

I got home and heard "So you wore your skirt!" I think it was an attempt to get me tired of hearing it called a skirt and make me give up my kilts. I have gotten more support for kilt wearing from friends than at home.

However, this time I was tired from being up all night. I decided I heard enough. I said I was in my house and I would wear what I wanted. If I want to wear a kilt, I will. If I want to wear a skirt, I will (and so forth).

So I was told, then wear it to work. I replied I will. That got a shocked reaction. Truth is that safety regs make that difficult, but I might wear a kilt on a special day. I'll have pants with me if needed.

In any case, there were no pants on me that weekend.

No sure that was the best way to deal with the situation, but it ended the comments about wearing a skirt. :smile:
    Last edited by Will; 1st July 05 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen , you have the right to wear what you want. If you were to make little comments about what your wife chose to wear, would you hear about it? Damn straight, you would.

Turnabouts fair play. If you want to wear akilt, then she can bloody well shut up about it, and YOU cna bloody well tell her so.

It's not "unloving" to stand up for your simple rights. It doesn't mean you have to wear it all the time, or wear it to her mothers' house on her birthday. but if you want to wear a kilt, then stand up for your right to do so with th ewoman you love.

It pays off in the end, believe me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as to the "Scottish invasion". i guess the guy thought that it only takes one scotsman in a kilt to invade......especially if he looks like DREAD!
    macG

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invasion?

Does it involve the aquisition of good coffee? Tea mayhap? I am up for it.

Hurry, so many villages need ransacking, so little time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the saga continues... was gonna wear it for the 4th of july fireworks. my wife threatened to leave me, not just leave the fireworks, but leave ME if i wore it out to the park with her. she didnt tell this to me, but to the friends we were going with. "if he shows up in that thing i'm taking our son and going".

Odd thing is, a few days later i took my son up to my mom's house in NJ (I'm in MD) and wore the kilt... one of her big 'things' was not wearing it around her. well, i was leaving, not with her... so i wore it. she actually said "i dont get it, dont know why you'd wanna wear it" to which i told her thats all I ask... just repect me and respect my rigiht to wear it... don't ridicule me. acceptace would be great, but i'll settle for tolerance. then she was actually flirting with me trying to lift it up outside when we were loading the kid into the car. she played it off as 'someone else may do that to you you should be embarassed' but it came off more as flirting if you ask me.

so... maybe all isnt lost? i dunno. the woman is bi-polar if you ask me. ;)

ps. excuse the terrible lack of caps. my son ripped the left shift key off my keyboard, using the right one just isnt natural :-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, You Are Addicted to Kilts

Sorry Lord Damax....you got a bad case.

Here's how bad it can be...I'm up to 26 kilts in my first year....

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

English women + Kilts

Hate to disappoint you. but despite the occasional English-Scots thing for the last few hundred years, I have had nothing but positive comments English women. I've just got back from a change-ringing training weekend and decided to go kilted for the 21st Anniversary BBQ. No-one mentioned the kilt on the evening, but the following day I had loads of people I had never ever spoken to come up and say that they thought the kilt looked really smart and they were glad I had decided to wear it. I've now orn my kilts often enough to not have to think of them as 'special' and I think the attitude has a lot to do with it. If you can behave normally, and you have nothing to 'prove', then comments are neutral or, thankfully positive. I think the idea of trying to wear it where your wife can see that others actually admire it is the best option! Good Luck with breaking through the zone.
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that if she's serious about that....."I'm going to take our son and leave him if he wears that thing"....if she really means it's divorce-time if you wear a kilt....

......then the two of you have issues FAR beyond anything that kilts may or may not cause. It's JUST A PIECE OF CLOTHING. That argument goes both ways, right?

....She says: Why do you have to insult me and degrade yourself and dress like a woman? You know I hate that kilt. Don't you care what I think and how I feel? It's not that important, it's JUST A PECE OF CLOTHING, can't you get rid of it?

....He says: You don't have to go all ballistic over the kilt. I just like to wear it, and it's a guys garment. There's no reason to pitch a fit, It's JUST A PIECE OF CLOTHING.

Because the "just a piece of clothing" argument goes both ways, the whole thing boils down to a simple matter of respect. You, as an adult, have the right to choose what clothes you want to wear. You can exercise that right with some degree of sensitivity towards the woman you are married to, but int he end, you have the right to wear what you want. If you roll over and let her dictate what you can wear....what's next? Would you let her dictate when you go to the bathroom?

You don't have the right to beat her up. You don't have the right to abuse your child. You don't have the right to to just any damn thing you please. But you DO have the right to wear an article of clothing that you like, as long as basic societal norms in terms of decency are respected.

If she simply cannot get that, if she insists that she has the right to enforce her views on what you can wear, then say "OK. If you have the right to forbid me to wear a kilt, then I have the right to forbid you to wear pants. So lose the pants, woman. Skirts and dresses only from now on."

That will go over like a wall of bricks. have an upfront talk about responsibility, respect and marriage. Hopefully she'll get the point. If she doesn't, if she simply cannot accord you the basic respect to let you wear what you want even now and then, well..... honestly? This is hard-*ss*d but honestly....

I recommend a professional counselor.