X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

An t-Ileach is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Preas a'Chiobair/Shepherd's Bush, Lunnainn/London RA/UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harpenden Highland Gathering

The 10th Harpenden Highland Gathering is to be held (ma thoileachas Dia) on Sunday 10th July: piping competition, highland dancing competition, stalls, etc. A good day out if you're in the north London area (or Hertfordshire for that matter).

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by An t-Ileach
    The 10th Harpenden Highland Gathering is to be held (ma thoileachas Dia) on Sunday 10th July: piping competition, highland dancing competition, stalls, etc. A good day out if you're in the north London area (or Hertfordshire for that matter).
    Unfortunately, I cannot make it, but I am so pleased to see that it has been resurrected - well, it must have been. I note that this year it is the 10th Annual Highland Gathering but, to my (almost) certain knowledge the holding of this Gathering was discontinued some years ago - I danced there several years running back in the 1960s!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

An t-Ileach is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    ... but, to my (almost) certain knowledge the holding of this Gathering was discontinued some years ago...
    The Harpenden Lions Club resurrected it in 1996, and they've managed to keep it going since. I hope they can keep it up and develop it further in future years. Who knows, they might even be able to include Highland Games and a Mod in it?

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by An t-Ileach
    The Harpenden Lions Club resurrected it in 1996, and they've managed to keep it going since. I hope they can keep it up and develop it further in future years. Who knows, they might even be able to include Highland Games and a Mod in it?
    Ah, I thought something of the sort must have happened! Thanks for that information. I shall make a note in my diary to remind me to check it out next year so that I can put in an appearance.

Also, back in the 1960s and 70s, there used to be The Hertford Highland Games - I danced there too - but I've not heard of that event in recent years. It could be that Harpenden's "Gathering" is the only one of its kind down here in the South.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    ...It could be that Harpenden's "Gathering" is the only one of its kind down here in the South.
    I think you could be right: I've not heard of any others.