X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

narowed it down to 3

G'day all, would love some opinions on the following.
    Choice 1 : heavyweight stillwater (pv) $150 au
    Choice 2 : handsewn 8yrd pv kilt made to fit me perfect by company over here in oz for $200
    Choice 3 : ex hire (thanks for tip jimmy) kilt that meets my waist size, 8 yard wool kilt (the real deal) $300 .
    My feeling is that if I had to choose between stillwater and the other pv kilt It would be worth paying the extra $50 for a perfect fit. If I choose the ex hire kilt that they tell me is in very good condition, I am concerned that it will fit ok around the waist but not hips (not much difference in the measurements in both areas on me I think I am 40inch waist 41-42 hips) so the taper could be wrong.
    how easy is it to bring the hip taper in? At least with this option I can go to the store and try it on before I decide to buy it, therefore if not happy with the fit can just say no thanks or see if they will alter it for me. any info would be much aprecciated.
    I have to confess that the amerikilt has not had much wear of late due to cold weather and the fact that the missus isnt too impressed with it. didnt want to push the issue especially when she was pregnant. as they say hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. and beleive me it was twice as bad when they are expecting. i am starting to agree with graham on that a tartan kilt is probably going to be the only way to get to wear a kilt to start with here in aussieland. once it is accepted then i'll start wearing (and making) plain ones.
    I still want to have a go at making a kilt myself but would like a bought one so I can follow it.
    Thanks to you all. Cheers Andrew
    Last edited by akaussie; 22nd July 05 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the Stillwater is Poly-Viscose, though I haven't looked into the Heavyweight that cloely. I believe it's acrylic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i checked the SWK site and the newest offering is blackwatch in WOOL! for $150 US, i sure wish i had known before i bought my heavyweight. dunno what shipping etc. would add to that.

there is a thread somewhere about SWKilts reviews. mine is the older acrylic but the construction and quality is very good.

best of luck akaussie...with EVERYTHING!

macG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah there is a wool one available but that comes in around $220au

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like a hand sewn to your bod....I'd go with #2 and put the other two on my wish list ;)

Kilts are addictive...there'll be more.

Choice 4: Before they're gone, a white Utilikilt workman's to wear to work where your wife don't gotta fret about it. The bakers I've known were busy and hot. Seems a contemporary kilt would be just the thing for the bakery.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I'd go with No.3

Like you said... it's the real deal. In my experience, wool hangs and swings better than PV. Modern fabrics and styles are an excellent alternate but they just aren't quite the real deal. Either it's the real deal or it's not. Depends on what you'll be happy with.

It's tough trying to make hamberger taste like steak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akaussie
    G'day all, would love some opinions on the following.
    Choice 1 : heavyweight stillwater (pv) $150 au
    Choice 2 : handsewn 8yrd pv kilt made to fit me perfect by company over here in oz for $200
    Choice 3 : ex hire (thanks for tip jimmy) kilt that meets my waist size, 8 yard wool kilt (the real deal) $300 .
    Another point for (2) is to support your local (well, at least in the same continent) kiltmaker, if they are any good. Here at X-Marks we hear a lot about Scottish, Canadian, and US kiltmakers. It would be nice to have the southern hemisphere represented as well.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn #2 is resonably local to me the lady I spoke to is about a 30 min drive down the road. not sure where the actual kiltmaker is though. they apparently make most of the kilts for the pipe bands and highland dancers over here.
    Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow they are all great choices.

Number 2 is close and you know that it would be a good fit.
    Number 1 is a fast option.
    Number 3 takes time to find the correct fit.

Now that is the way that I would do it, get all three in that order.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up narrowed it down to 3

Stillwater now offers a 100% wool Heavyweight, in the Black Watch pattern, that's absolutely 1st class. I recently bought one of the prototypes and get nothing but compliments whenever I wear it. I believe these are now selling for $150 US

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast