X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Kilt Yardage

toadinakilt

Kilt Yardage

Just curious, because I can't find it on the website...
    Hown many yards is a UK? 4 or 5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely not an expert, but I don't think UKs have any set yardage. The yardage of a tartan kilt is based on the sett of the tartan, how it is pleated (to stripe or to sett) and your particular waist and hip size. Since I have a 46 inch kilt waist, a casual kilt in say black watch tartan might take a yard or so more than someone with a 34 inch waist. The UKs have no tartan, so I'd guess the amount of material would depend on how many pleats they have, the depth of the pleats and your waist size.
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 44" waist original UK. The pleats are 2" wide at the waist, and the apron is 9.5" wide. Making as assumption on how deep the pleats are, I'd say it's 4 yards. 9.5" + 9.5" for apron and underapron, 18 pleats at 2" wide with say 4" underneath is about 3.5 yards, add half a yard for extra pleating... I cant see how they'd make it from 5, there's just not that many pleats in it.