X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone with insight on this seller?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Watch-Tart...QQcmdZViewItem

Feedback is good, price seems incredibly low. I past over the first doxen or so auctions to see what feedback was going to be.

Thanks
    David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry My feed back

Looks good and a good price but of what material.
    I just purchased a wool Black Watch tartin on eBay for less than $100. Very nice looking kilt. I don't recall the seller though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a guess here, I suspect it's wool, but probably not worsted. Still not a bad price from what I can see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's my take: it's a kilt from Britain. Look at the buckles/straps, they're very high up compared to traditional kilts. They should be several inches lower. Since modern style cuts are not so common in Britain, as they are in the US, I'm suggesting these are likely department store women's kilts which would be lighter material and less weight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the guy's web site and look at the photos of the backs of his kilts. They are not pleated to the stripe or to the sett. Some kind of odd mix. None of the horz. stripes line up. The pleats look like they have been sat on for a full day in the car.
    I wouldn't touch these at half the price.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go to any of the kilt description pages on their website, they are claiming some serious BS:

They have a link to "a kilt supplier selling the same specification kilts but for a lot more money", which links to a price list for handmade worsted wool kilts at another company. Hardly a fair or even remotely honest comparison.

They then do the same thing with the cost of fabric, posting "a link to show you the price of the material to give you a better idea of the bargain you are going to purchase..." It links to a Lochcarron price list implying they use the same quality fabric.

I have handled the exact kilts they are selling, they are not horrible, but the claims on their website are inexcusable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC
    Go to the guy's web site and look at the photos of the backs of his kilts. They are not pleated to the stripe or to the sett. Some kind of odd mix. None of the horz. stripes line up. The pleats look like they have been sat on for a full day in the car.
    I wouldn't touch these at half the price.
    I agree with wizard here. nobody sells a quality kilt for less than £30. I wouldn't bother unless you want kilt for gardening in.

You don't get owt for nowt!
    Last edited by Martin; 13th August 05 at 02:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better research discovers that it's 16 oz poly/wool. Standard length, 24, and custom waist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought one of these kilts - as you say 'for gardening' - or the like. They are made by a group that label as 'Scottish Highland Kilt', and inside it says 'designed in Scotland', but I suspect that they are made in the East somewhere. The pleats are done in some sort of pattern, but not technically correct to sett. A complete novice to kilting might not notice anything, but anyone else who has one could really tell the difference. As I say, I have mine for around the house & garden as it'll wash okay and I don't mind what happens to it at that price. If I was expecting an authentic kilt I would have probably been disappointed. They do appear quite frequently over here.
    Phil