X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings and Wedding Wear?

Greetings all I am currently I have been invited to a wedding by two of close friends to thier wedding. My wife is in the wedding, while I am playing more of a supporting role, I will be helping the guys get ready at my house and dropping them off at the church.
    After a little discussion I decided to wear a kilt to the wedding, since a majority of the men in the wedding as well as in attendance will be wearing one. I talked to the soon to be bride and groom about this and they seem to be excited as well.
    So now my question would be what to wear. I am planning on getting a solid black kilt. Probably an economy from SWK, since the reviews on this site has given me the confidence that it will work for my purposes, and not cost as much as my wife's dress. My question is what else, shirt tie, coat?

Thanks I am glad to find this site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One suggestion, and that would be to avoid the stillwater economy...If anything, go with the standard or heavyweight...The standards and heavyweights have received decent reviews, but the economy has not...My opinion is that the SW economy would look out of place amongst the traditionals of the wedding party. The standard isn't too much more expensive, and the leap in quality is certainly noticeable...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sav
    One suggestion, and that would be to avoid the stillwater economy...If anything, go with the standard or heavyweight...The standards and heavyweights have received decent reviews, but the economy has not...My opinion is that the SW economy would look out of place amongst the traditionals of the wedding party. The standard isn't too much more expensive, and the leap in quality is certainly noticeable...
    I second that. In fact if you can, go for the heavyweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have exactly the same situation, except that none of my family (wife, sons) are in the party.

My wife is set, she owns a kilted skirt in her clan tartan.

The boys and I went rental. Jackets and the whole shmeer.

What part of the country are you in? That will determine the rental location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White long sleeve shirt. Since you are going with a black kilt, a tie in the tartan of the grooms kilt might be a nice touch. Might think about renting an Argyl jacket for the event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to get a Sporran. Since you are going to wedding, get something Furry!

Don't worry about spending more that your wife's dress. I am sure you will wear your new kilt more than once.
    Last edited by Raphael; 16th August 05 at 03:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I agree with renting an Argyl Jacket and a dress sporran.

If you don't go with a tartan tie to match the grooms kilt, perhaps you could choose a tie in a solid color that matches with the grooms kilt. I think a black on black out fit with a crisp white shirt and a solid red or yellow or what ever color tie would look very sharp!!
    [B]Paul Murray[/B]
    Kilted in Detroit! Now that's tough.... LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid black....you can get that in the SWK heavyweight, but not in the Standard any more, I think. Here's the thing, if you're going to own a kilt, you might as well own something you can wear and be proud of. The $100 you'll spend for a heavyweight is more than worth it. You'll have it for years.

Team that up with a nice kilt belt, black shoes, real kilt hose ($20, get the REAL stuff, like Locharron or something), a sporran with fur off of ebay, a white shirt and a tie in the grooms tartan and you'll look fantastic. That kilt will take you to a whole lot of gatherings...Highland games, formal events, everyday wear, you name it. I wear my black one pretty regularly to both dressy and totally casual events.

Get the better kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information especially on the kilt to get I will make sure I upgrade. Also the tartan tie idea is a great one, now I just have to remember which one he is getting. I know I have that somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possingk,

WELCOME!

Cannot expound any further than the advise already given. Do tell us about it when the wedding comes about.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.