X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Doc Hudson is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Matt Newsome!

I like the looks of some of your sgian dhus at the Tartan Museum.

How would you rate the quality of the blades? I'd really rather have a blade that will hold a useful edge than something merely decorative. How do these blades stack up as using knives?

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as I use mine primarily for opening boxes, they stack up fine! :-)

Seriously, the blades on all of the sgians we carry are the same. The only difference is the handle and sheath on them. The blades are all stainless Seffield steel.

I'm really not a knife afficianado, so I hesitate to comment on quality, because I don't feel qualified. All I can give is my opinion, that they are as good as any standard commercially available sgians I have seen. These are all made in Scotland -- the blades are not coming from Pakistan or India, or wherever.

The only blades I've seen that have been a noticably higher quality are hand crafted blades, but typically sell for ten times as much....
    M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Hudson
    I'd really rather have a blade that will hold a useful edge than something merely decorative. How do these blades stack up as using knives?
    I have the same concern about sgian dhus. This is nothing new--Thompson complained about the edge on most sgian dubhs in So You're Going to Wear the Kilt.

I won't wear one that is not functional--I'd rather do without (and carry a pocket knife in my sporran). Fortunately, I have two that I bought years ago from a Chicagoland knife dealer (don't recall the name). No fancy hilts, but the blades are OK.

Glenn

An t-Ileach is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Preas a'Chiobair/Shepherd's Bush, Lunnainn/London RA/UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quality of steel in tools, in particular blades, is a sore point with me.

Saddlers seem to spend an inordinate amout of time at house clearing auctions, and the like, looking for old tools (pre-WWI) because the steel is just so much better.

I even travel to a tool-maker in France to buy saddlery tools because his blades take and hold a sharp edge. Japanese tools at the moment are the best; British are rubbish, as are German. I get my round knives from the Amish in Ohio.

I wonder why this is?

Oh, and my sgian dhubh is an old one bought in the '50s - it takes a reasonable edge. I also keep a small sgian-pḥcaid (pocket knife) with me; folding, locking, stainless steel blade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a stainless steel rigging knife in my sporran all the time. They're reasonably fuctional, and the steel is ok. I also have a leatherman, but it's just too heavy.

The sgian dubh is just something that I have a hard time getting my head into. I dunno why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to the law I simply can't carry a sgian dubh around here. Maximum blade length allowed is 3 inches and fixed blades are a no no. Has to be a folder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba
    Due to the law I simply can't carry a sgian dubh around here. Maximum blade length allowed is 3 inches and fixed blades are a no no. Has to be a folder.
    Man I'm glad I live in an area which isn't that restrictive. The only restrictions here are that I can't carry a concealed knife (or gun), but I can carry either in the open and can carry a concealed gun if I get a permit for it.
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good link to find out whether, when, or how carrying a sgian dubh (or any fixed-blade knife) is legal in your State. Remember, some States allow local governments to pass more restrictive laws, so it is always a good idea to research all of the pertinent laws before carrying a knife of any kind. This is a good place to start:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

yoippari is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask around at swordforum.com. I know I have said it before but there are some really good smiths over there that can make just about any kind of sgian dubh you can want. Of particular note is Jake Powning. Do a search look at his work, prepare to spend money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High-quality (and expensive) sgian dubhs from the Isle of Skye

I'm not a complete knife nut, but I like carrying a good utilitarian blade when I can. I've wanted a sgian dubh for some time, but I won't spend money one one that is either too ornate or one with a cheap blade that won't keep an edge. Now it looks like I've found the knives of my dreams at www.knifemaker.co.uk . They have some really, really nice stuff, and it seems that much of it is one-of-a-kind. For example...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast