X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: socks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

socks

Okay --kilt hose. But I have heard some of you like to wear rugby socks. Does this look like a good deal?

http://www.rugbyimports.com/browse.cfm/4,250.htm

I know nothing about rugby or its socks. Any of our UK or Australian friends heard of Orion Rugby socks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price looks good. Only one way to know about the quality

You can also look at Dick's Sporting Goods for their acrylic socker socks. Nice quality and great price. I've got fairly large claves and they fit snug but pretty good.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...entPage=family

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are available in some interesting colors as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like a jolt of colour to get someones attention.

An t-Ileach is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Preas a'Chiobair/Shepherd's Bush, Lunnainn/London RA/UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the rugger socks I've ever had, from school to club to army, have had a different coloured turn over from the body. They're good socks though, and if you can get them in one colour should do well as kilt hose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

socks

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout
    Price looks good. Only one way to know about the quality

You can also look at Dick's Sporting Goods for their acrylic socker socks. Nice quality and great price. I've got fairly large claves and they fit snug but pretty good.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...entPage=family
    Also, GI Joe's has socker sox, I use them.

Paul - idezilla

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good deal. I like the inexpensive soccer sox and wear them pushed down. Hard to find colors to match some kilts though, like the tan, basil, caramel UKs and the putty AmeriKilt...still looking though. Thanks for the links guys.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt
    Looks like a good deal. I like the inexpensive soccer sox and wear them pushed down. Hard to find colors to match some kilts though, like the tan, basil, caramel UKs and the putty AmeriKilt...still looking though. Thanks for the links guys.

Ron
    Ron, with respect, for best effect your hose/socks should 'compliment' or 'tone with' the colour of your kilt rather than 'match' it. Too much of the same colour is not a particularly good idea.

General comment on rugby/soccer socks: The one problem with these, as I see it, is that because they are so thin the observer can see the colour of the wearer's calves through them - especially with the darker colours. Personally, I find this a great turn-off and would only wear them if I could roll them down, with boots ........... in which case, they are not really thick enough to look good worn in that way!!!

So, for me, this type of sock does not work with the kilt.

Just my opinion!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    Ron, with respect, for best effect your hose/socks should 'compliment' or 'tone with' the colour of your kilt rather than 'match' it. Too much of the same colour is not a particularly good idea.

General comment on rugby/soccer socks: The one problem with these, as I see it, is that because they are so thin the observer can see the colour of the wearer's calves through them - especially with the darker colours. Personally, I find this a great turn-off and would only wear them if I could roll them down, with boots ........... in which case, they are not really thick enough to look good worn in that way!!!

So, for me, this type of sock does not work with the kilt.

Just my opinion!
    my opinion also, found that Eddie Buaer had a good colour choice for short socks, best of hitting Piper supply shops for long kilt socks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ham,

God I love this board!

I agree about the sox...probably should have said "go with" instead of match...thanks for pointing that out though...have been pretty much going monochromatic with the kilt, now, with sage advice, looking at other colors.

Soccer Socks don't work for me when pulled up...just look wrong. They do seem okay to me when pushed down/bunched up with tennis shoes. Too hot out here in the summer for boots all day long.

Actually starting to look forward to cooler days so I can wear my regular, designed for that job, kilt hose.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast