X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Military or Warrior.

From another thread. Rather than go off topic, I made a new one. Surely, no one could complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Maybe it's me but I didn't see it as a Mohawk, around here they're longer and usually coloured. I thought it was a military cut.
    The sooner people get over hair, the sooner people will get over kilts. I said it before, your family all looked good.
    My rule with kilts is when in doubt go military or warrior, either way his hair fit the kilt. The only other rules for hair are safety and scalp health, those are all.

(ps. I'm glad you saw the comment about your MIL as light-hearted, which is the way I meant it. She looks quite imposing.)
    Where do dreadlocks fit in?

Ok seriously, this has a lot of area for conversation. Hair, acceptance, and warrior military culture which has been chatted about in another thread.

As far as locks go, for all the reasons I have them, they do tie in all to well to Celtic roots... Many warriors could not afford a good metal helmet, or even a decent leather helmet. Locks were the alternative. Dip them in lyme for that pale blue spikey look many Celts were known for, or clay. Allow them to harden. The hard outer shell could deflect some blows and provided a good deal of protection, while the inner layers cushioned the blow. I have noticed it with mine that bonks on the head don't hurt as much. I haven't dipped them in lyme or clay and let them harden to see what that is like, but I have bonked my skull here and there.

In the library, there is a book about the history of the South, Greenville in particular, and there is a half Scot half indian man. In the picture, he is wearing some sort of coat, shirt, and he is kilted. But he had his hair very long, and the left half of his head was shaved down to the scalp. He also has feathers in his hair and a small axe on his belt instead of a dirk. He traveled a lot and secured a lot of trading with the natives to peoples in Scotland and England.

Not in an offensive way or anything, but he looked quite savage in his dress. I am not sure if it was the hair, or the tomahawk, or the cold steely look in his face, but he looked very much like a warrior.

I think it's an interesting point to bring up. The kilt fits in with both warrior and military cultures, and while they can be tied together, can also be exclusive of one another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out the guy in this picture: http://www.mudmen.ca/indexframes.htm.

How long before you even think of looking at his hair? You want to argue with him about a kilt?

I said it earlier, safety and scalp health are the only real concerns. Dreads work with kilts: check out big country dvd, tartan army.
    Kilts are the perfect cross cultural clothing, IMNSHO.

Actually, I never like these kinds of discussions. People tend to "spiritualize their personal tastes". That's what we're discussing here, really. People try to move around within their cultural limitations and express themselves. So, if my hair style is simply a reaction to something else, then it is the same as that something else which has ruled my decision, no matter how different it looks. Once people decide what is "good" for whatever reason, then they want to pass that on, and it becomes a moral issue, which it isn't.

My personal choices are mine. So I would agree that dyeing my hair is vanity, to use a recent example, but that leaves a couple of question summed up in "so what?". First, if vanity is my deciding factor, then how does that argument confront my kilt wearing? Second, what right do I have to impose that decision on others? (Parental protection and economy aside, to Prestor John.) My personal value says to brush my hair more than twice a day is suspect, that's not for me to impose on others.

If I advise here, it is only that. It's bearing and confidence that make up the large part of what makes wearing kilt have its dignity, its presence. That, and not dressing up like a Christmas tree. Whooops, sorry.
    Last edited by Archangel; 5th September 05 at 03:22 PM.