X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

The urban village of Mt. Washington, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sleeve length of Argyll jackets

What is the "correct" sleeve length for an Argyll jacket? Do they run a little short? Long?

The made-to-measure jacket I got from Tartancentre.com (affiliated with scottishkilts.net) seems to be a bit short in the sleeve (at least to me). I thought that perhaps that's just how they come. I've seen pictures of chaps with short sleeves like mine and longer sleeves, as well. Is it really just a matter of preference?

To be clear, it's not like they're REALLY short. The cuffs are just shy of the break of the wrist. I'm used to jackets cuffs coming slightly past that break. My tux shirt cuff shows about 1/2".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In men's fashions, this is a really dicey issue. The sleeve length is subject to whims like we would joke about women's fashions. Consider that for many office workers that it is the only place to show individuality.

If you can fold your arms without it pulling across the back, or moving too much up the wrist, then it's tailored right.

It really depends on your sense of fashion. Generally, you want a bit of shirt cuff to be visible, again, how much is up to you.

Check out GQ, borrow Dread's copy when he's done with it.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no "correct" length, Schultz. As with any made-to-measure jacket, sleeve-length is purely a matter to be decided between the customer and the tailor.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Schultz,

To be "fashionable" you should have between 1/4" to 1/2" of your shirt sleeve showing with your arms relaxed at your side. BUT, to be comfortable with what you are wearing, you should be happy with the jacket sleeve length. If you feel they are too short, have them let out a little. Some people like absolutely no shirt sleeve showing, and that is fine. Since it is you who are wearing it, have it altered to what you feel comfortable with!

Joe

The urban village of Mt. Washington, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I went home and checked everything and aside from it being a little shorter than I'm used to, it fits great. I can cross my arms w/o any real tug on the cuff and at most 1/2" of cuff from my tux shirt shows.

Once I get my hands on a bow tie (as I refuse to wear those silly pre-tied ones), I'll post some pics.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, Mike, now don't make excuses!

Let's see some pics. Forget the tie!

haha

Yours in Christ, for a happy feast
    Fr. John